Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

So a while ago my automatic updates told me I should upgrade to Windows 10 on my Windows 7 computer. I did. I've used it find for a while and then suddenly it started repairing itself and I got one of those bsod that eventually lead me to a  pick a keyboard set up. It of course made it so that I couldn't use any ports, keyboards or mice no matter which I used. After some reading, I was told to go back to factory settings, but before I did that, I used the backup manager that HP offers. I selected music, videos, and documents, actually I think I selected all of the available options. Anyhow....once my computer was finished backing itself up onto my external harddrive with the HP program, I reset the computer back to factory settings. Upon opening the recovery manager and searching through my recovered files i have everything except my Open Office Files. Is there a reason why this happened? Did I do something wrong? Does anyone know why it wouldn't have accepted those as documents to back up? I'm extremely frustrated as I am a writer, a poor one obviously since I have to use a free program instead of Microsoft Office, and everything I was working on is simply gone with no explanation. 

Can anyone help me understand? Possibly even help me find the files if they are somewhere not quite so obvious?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The main reason is that HP's backup/recovery software software is mostly Windows-centric. This means the software didn't recognize the OpenOffice file extension as a document file and therefore didn't backup it up. You may have been able to manually add the additional file types before proceeding, but it would appear that that didn't happen.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

HERE IS A DOCUMENT that explains how to retrieve the documents from a Recovery Manager backup.  Since the other documents etc have been retrieved, is this the method used for them?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

The main reason is that HP's backup/recovery software software is mostly Windows-centric. This means the software didn't recognize the OpenOffice file extension as a document file and therefore didn't backup it up. You may have been able to manually add the additional file types before proceeding, but it would appear that that didn't happen.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Thank you for taking the time to reply and help me with this problem. I actually did everything your document said to prior to writing the question. That's how I knew I had lost the files because they weren't in the recovery files. Unfortunately I have discovered that the back up system simply didn't recognize Open Office Files and that I would have had to force it to recognize it manually. Thank you though again for trying to help. It's appreciated. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.