Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 8200 Elite CMT
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I bought a 8200 Elite CMT from eBay.

Model #: XZ987UT  

(Product ID: XZ987UT#ABA)
The seller installed a generic Win7 Pro OS on it, which was quite half baked (missing lots of drivers).

I'd like to blow away the half-baked OS on this machine, and install a fresh copy of Win7 Pro.

In particular, I'd like to restore it to factory settings by obtaining HP Recovery disks (or USB).

I tried following these instrs for obtaining a recovery disk (or USB drive):

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07143

but on step 11 the "Order recovery media cd/dvd/usb" menu item never appeared 😞

Per the URL above:

If you cannot find an "Order Recovery Media - CD/DVD/USB" section, select

another operating system from the drop down list. If you cannot find a

Recovery Media section for your computer model, HP does not have a recovery kit available.

Q#1: any suggestions on how I can get the recovery media for this PC?

Q#2: any suggestions on how I can get the Win7 Pro generic install bits?

The URL for downloading Win7 from Microsoft (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7) refused to permit a download for the Product Key on sticker on this PC

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can only order recovery disks for HP business PC's by telephone.

In the USA/Canada, call this number ...  1-800-334-5144.

Have the serial number of the PC handy to give to the customer services rep.

A set should cost around $10 delivered via 1st class mail.

This site claims to have genuine, unadulterated W7 ISO files for download.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

Click on the link labeled Windows ISO Downloader.exe

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

I've used RestoreDisks.com many times.

Or ComputerSurgeons.com

:Wink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon.
        If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi:

You can only order recovery disks for HP business PC's by telephone.

In the USA/Canada, call this number ...  1-800-334-5144.

Have the serial number of the PC handy to give to the customer services rep.

A set should cost around $10 delivered via 1st class mail.

This site claims to have genuine, unadulterated W7 ISO files for download.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

Click on the link labeled Windows ISO Downloader.exe

HP Recommended

Hi y2ken, thanks for the pointers.  

Unfortunately both had problems.

1) restoredisks.com doesn't carry a retore disk for the HP Elite 8200 series, only the 8300 series.

2)     computersurgons.com  only has a 32-bit version of Win7, not a 64 bit version:

http://www.computersurgeons.com/p-19404-recovery-kit-xl688av-for-hp-model-number-8200-elite-small-fo...

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the quick reply.
I'll try calling the 800 # tomorrow.

In the meantime, I tried the heididoc.net link.   It might work, but it's not clear which of seven "Windows 7 Pro" selections is the correct one for the HP Elite 8200 CMT.  Just for Win7 Pro, the .exe that I downloaded from heididoc.net gives the following choices:

1) Win 7 Pro SP1

2) Win 7 Pro N SP1

3) Win 7 Pro K SP1

4) Win 7 Pro NK SP1

5) Win 7 Pro SP1 COEM

6) Win 7 Pro N SP1 COEM

7) Win 7 Pro KN SP1 COEM

I picked one at random, and it then asked me 32 or 64 bit.  Which is fine (I want 64 bit).   But it's not at all clear what the difference b/n the 7 permutations is.    Your thoughts?

Image81.heididoc.what.is.Windows7.N.K.KN.OEM.jpg

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You can use either the:

Win 7 Pro SP1 or the (Retail version, butthe  OEM key on your PC's case will work with it)

Win 7 Pro SP1 COEM (This version would be for what HP would have used--System Builder)

N is for European countries.

K is for South Korean markets.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

The 1-800-334-5144 for the Recovery disk worked great, thanks!

In the meantime, I'm continuing to see if I can troubleshoot the generic Win 7 Pro OS which was installed.

The Device Manger now only shows one line item which is missing drivers, but it is quite cryptic about what it is.

Do the two screen snapshots below give any clue as to *which* driver is missing?

Image85.Device.driver.part2.jpg

Image85.Device.driver.part1.jpg

Thanks again!

-Ted

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That device decodes to an O2 Micro® Smart Card Reader.

Does your PC have a smart card reader attached to the keyboard?

I don't see any drivers for that device listed on the 8200 Elite support page.

I believe that this is the driver you need for that device...

This package contains the drivers for the HP USB Smartcard Keyboard and the HP
Modular USB Smartcard Reader in the supported desktop and thin client models
and operating systems.

These drivers support not only the HP USB Smartcard Keyboard, but also support
the HP Modular USB Smartcard Reader when used as a standalone device (plugged
directly into the USB port on the desktop) or when attached appropriately to
the HP Modular USB Keyboard.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45001-45500/sp45492.exe

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks, I never would have guessed it awa a Smarc Card Reader!   How did you decode it?

Today I received the Recovery Disk.  The HP support person didn't know if it would come as a CD/DVD or a USB, and said there was no option to select one or the other.    What arrived was a 16GB USB drive.  And... the 8200 won't recognize it as a boot device!   I have "USB Drive" enabled under EFT Boot Sources, as shown in this photo:Image86a.USB.Boot.enabled.jpg

And the Security | USB Security is also set to enable all USB slots to function:

Image86b.USB.Boot.security.enabled.jpg

however it refuses to recognize the USB drive as a boot device.  I have a blank (new) hard disk installed and when I boot with the USB Recovery drive in a front USB slot, all I get is the error: "Non-system disk or disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready".

Googling indicates this may be a problem with older BIOS's (earlier than 2.23), but my BIOS version is 2.28  ("J01 v02.28", to be precise), which should no longer have the problem.

Any thoughts on how I can get the machine to recognize this USB Recovery drive?

Thanks in advance,

-Ted

HP Recommended

Hi, Ted:

I googled the ID and then found the smart card reader keyboard drivers.  Hopefully that driver worked for you.

It seemed to be good for dozens of HP desktop PC models up to the 8100 Elite, so hopefully it worked for the keyboard they shipped with your model.

I bought my 8200 Elite new back in 2011, and a set of 4 W7 Pro SP1 recovery DVD's was in the box.

I have never had any luck booting from EFI sources, so try booting from the legacy USB source.

That's what I have always had to use when booting from a DVD.

See if it will boot from the USB Floppy/CD option.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.