Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I turned on computer and e-mail icon was not there....can't find it.  Later found a different looking e-mail icon in bar at bottom of computer...tried to move it to make larger icon on desktop....it disappeared too...should have left well enough alone!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Mvcclc,

Welcome to the HP Forum!

Icons are simply representations of programs installed on your computer, "shortcuts" are a common name used to describe these little links that one keeps on the Desktop and in the Taskbar.

The actual programs used to run the various functions, like your email, are located elsewhere on the computer.

You can search for the name of the real program, open the "location" of that program, Right-click on the executable (program-name.exe), and then create a new ShortCut for your Desktop access.

Example:

• Open a Windows Explorer window (called File Explorer in Windows 😎
  • Click on your "C" disk so your search will start at the "top" of the possible paths to the program
  • In the Search box, located near the top right corner of the window, type "thunderbird" >> replacing thunderbird with YOUR email program name
  • When the search responds with a list that contains your search word, Click on "type" to sort the list by file type.
  • Look for "thunderbird.exe" >> replacing thunderbird with YOUR email program executable
  • Right-Click on the executable (program) and select "Send to" to make a new shortcut to the program  ***

***  Some programs can also be sent to the TaskBar and / or Start (or Start Screen for Windows 😎

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If all else fails, then download the program from whence ever you first obtained it and resinstall the mail program over the top of your current installation.  It is likely the reinstallation will recreate the icons on the Desktop and in the Taskbar for you.

Hope this helps.

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great “Thank You” for the Experts who offer to help!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

My e-mail icon has suddenly disappeared, and I found it in Apps. How do I restore it to my desktop?

HP Recommended

My e-mail icon has suddenly disappeared, and I found it in Apps. How do I restore it to my desktop?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@Margie2016

Much depends on your Operating System and which mail program / Application you are using.

I have placed an example of finding an Application in All Apps and then creating a shortcut for the Desktop in the following document (on about the first page at this writing):

Windows Features - Quick Tour

Section:

• Windows 10 >> Find an Application in All Apps > create Desktop icon

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.