Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

GETTING INDIVIDUAL PROGRAMS, FROM HP recovery discs

After a Windows crash, I had to re-install the operating system. I think it was restore using system recovery that allowed me to do this. I got WINdows 10 reinstalled; now I need various programs it erased in the process, from my HP recovery discs. Programs like PC doctor and Cyberlink dvd suite Delux. How do I extract them individually. My computer is an HP model number HPE112Y. I am running Windows 10, 64 bit. The discs launch into full recovery. I found an application file for the Cyberlink software after booting, then loading the cd; but when I activated it, after selecting the icon; it came back and said, I do not have permission. Do I need to do the register thing again; where the computer acts like it is new; and want a bunch of crap all over? If so, where is that located? In any case, please guide me how to get my programs off the recovery discs; without a full recovery. This is taking longer, than the full operating system install. I am sure there is a security reason; but noone thought to make it easier to access individual program for the average idiot? I am not so sure I need a hard copy of every program on factory discs, like we use to get when Windows first came around; but I can't find the corner in the round room here. I just want to install the programs I lost in the process.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Had to hunt down the HP download sight, among all the search clutter; and finally did a manual download for the printer(up and running) The automated process seemed a bust, lots of hunting. No, printer discs only had Win 7 drivers; that is why they woudl not work with Win 10. 

Works; I downloaded both Openoffice and Libreoffice. One a friend sent, the otehr I had already hunted down before coming back here. You nailed the two open source free ones I have tried. Openoffice does, not yet have a filter for works; and the filters I tried did not seem to work. I am going to say that is a no go; but did not try that many filters. Libreoffice opened Works .wps extension files up first try. It seemed to put the header on a second page(I can live with that) but I was able to drop files in and save to .rtxt the rish text format; and now have copies that will open with wordpad. Thourhg thsi did drop my header, don't need them. I think this will work for me, and most people. Libreoffice, and not Openoffice.

Open source, and freeware, does not have the same issues as commercial software, needing updates and such? I am asking, I am not expert on this at all: ) I probably need to look up open source and read up how it works more specific. My uneducated thinking; was that it still needs updates(some anyway) so it may not get the same paid attention to patches and bugs? Maybe most fo it does not work that way? Anyway, getting ready to load speccy, and back with the AV.....and hope its all good from here. I ran a DSKCHK WITH WIN 10 for good measure though my drive seems fine. It hung all day at 10% didn't move. Defrag analyzer scanned okay. It rebooted out of the ChkDsk; and has not hung up or had any problems associated with the drive, and the system analyzer under recovery for win10(when I resored teh OP) said all is well. I am going to call it a done deal; and figure there is not easy way to get into those recovery discs; and that ground up conversion and program adaptation, is the way. Thank You!     

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

How about a free substitute for "Cyberlink" ?

If you are looking for software to "rip" CDs, and create your own music CDs, or copy CD/DVD disks, or to write your selection of files to CD/DVD media, see:  www.ashampoo.com

and look for the free version of "Burning Studio".

At the moment, you must pay for "version 18", but "version 16" is free, and that is what I use.

What other applications are "missing", and what functionality would they give you?

Instead of "PC Doctor", Google-search for "download SPECCY free".

The free version of this software displays all the details about your hardware.

It does not have any "test" functionality, but if your hardware is fine, you don't need to do any "testing".

HP Recommended

Lost programs.PNG

This is the recovered file. I think some of the stuff I am missing went away with Windows 10 upgrade, like Microsoft works. I guess that is not coming back, and I will need a good equal, or word some how. I think Media Smart is better than what Windows 10 offers now; but perhaps KM player and VLC media players I just downloaded will surfice. The highlighted stuff I have(printer and back drive). Nvidia is my video software, and back in. Picture control and NX are camera utilities, and loaded back. Play ready PC runtime....not sure about that one. Silverlight I can get, if I need that. I am not sure what the Microsoft visual C  files are, but two of them came back, but some updates are not taking yet. I might be able to free download PC doctor, not sure on that yet. What worries me a bit; is I am not exactly sure everything that could be missing. For example; Adobe stuff is not on here, and I had to replace photoshop, elements, and need to reinstall the reader also(no problem). I was hoping there was a way; to view and install selected programs from the HP recovery disks. I am not seeing the instal files; but seems there was a time I had a screen that came up, and allowed application files only. Then again, that may have been back with XP or such. I have a Windows.Old file and a boatload of stuff on my back drive, I am no expert at figuring out either. I am kinda doing what you suggest with new programs; becuase figuring out what is what, is quite complicated....for someone who has not seen his back drive in a couple years. I am out of the woods, and windows.old did save my Firefox bookmarks; didn't have to dump my files; just had to re-install Windows 10. I just thought there had to be some way to get at programs, without doing a full recovery; or why else do a Windows 10 restore(reinstall).....if most of your factory programs are not reloadable?? Oh the good old days; when you had factory hard copies of each program: ) Of course there was no recovery, so not that good a days really. Those days are not coming back. So, what is the deal here? I guess Windows runs with a ton of applications and PC's, and is not necessarily designed to occomodate HP recovery? HP and Microsoft are not chummie kinda deal? Anyway, I will keep your suggestions and try those links; if I don't find some way to recover the software on the recovery discs; I may take your route. Maybe HP has a clue? Took me a couple weeks to realize Microsoft works was gone; and Windows 10 dumped my antivirus and deleted it.............which is part of why I crashed, I do believe. Thank you!        

HP Recommended

> HP Photosmart D110 All-In-One Driver Software

> HP Imaging Device Functions 14.0

Look on http://support.hp.com for the Windows 10 version of software for your HP D110 

> HP MediaSmart Smart Menu

Did you ever use this?

> HP Smart Web Printing

Did you ever use this?

> HP Solution Center

Did you ever use this?

> MagicJack

Reload from the vendor's web-site.

> Microsoft Office Home and Student 60 day trial

Downloadable from the "Microsoft Store" in Windows 10

> Microsoft Silverlight

Downloadable from Microsoft

> NVidia

???

> Nikon ViewNX

> Nikon Picture Control Utility

Check Nikon's web-site for Windows 10 version of their software.

> Microsoft PlayReady PC Runtime

> Microsoft Visual C++ runtime

A "runtime" is a building-block on which application software uses "under the covers".

So, if you reload some of your applications, this software will be reloaded, too.

> Western Digital SmartWare

Download, if needed, from WD's web-site.

Finally, Microsoft Office can read/write files created by MIcrosoft Works.

P.S. The 'windows.old' folder was created when you upgraded from Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10.

It's used only within the first 30 days, should you choose to "revert" from Windows 10 to your previous version.

HP Recommended

I still have my Photosmart D110 discs for the printer, so far not loading; but it has alwahs been a real pain to get installed. I will go to the sight and see what Win 10 drivers you mention and download.

I think I used Media smart for my blue ray player, at the time I got this computer; i don't think there was much freeware that ran HD at the time; and I think Media smart drove my Blu Ray player. I also used it for DVD's, if I don't have programs confused; because it had some upscalling capability. I now have kM player; perhaps that will take the place entirely for HD media and Blu Ray?? I have not gotten into it fully yet, but hoping it might have some upscaling for standard def as well.

Web printing no, never; got loaded with the printer driver and software.

I may have used solution center a few times, wish I could recall for sure; but mostly, I think it took up space and time, reminding me of something I did not need to know. I think it gave access to support easier, and may have solved some problems, or at least eliminated some. 

Majic jack I can reload if I ever use again, not an issue there.

Office is the big one that got me upon install of Win 10, not necessarily a recovery or HP issue with recovery discs I suppose. However, thank you Windows for blindly removing it with Win 10. I created some graphs or ledgered pages in Works to store movie titles in my library nice and neat; and not opening quite right now. I think Word is a paid program; so is there a good alternative Freeware, that will open Works Documents. One of my larger issues outstanding.

Silverlight I will wait on, if I need it. Flash and Acrobat are back in.

NVIDIA is my video vard drivers, back in and updated

The Nikon stuff is in and updated for a camera

Runtime will do its own thing, not worried about that then

Western Digital for "my book" back drive; seems to be back up; but unless I  had a complete recovery(not jsut the OS; I am not sure I can make heads or tales out of that mess, rather than a complete retrieve of all original files. Didn't look like WD "My Book" BACK UP saved squat, for my fIREFOX Bookmarks. I think what saved my ass big time for that; was Windows ten install, created that Windows.old file. Deep in there 12 extensions deep, I hit pay dirt. Either "my book" didn't do a good job backing, or does not save bookmarks for firefox, and most mail and contacts, for anything else; or a good hack erased them real time, because I was a dumb ass and left my back drive open. I never hear back from WD; but wondering why my bookmarks are not in the same folder windows.old created a few weeks ago. I think it is working to save most of the other files. I will consider the back drive a learing lesson in progress, but mostly working.

So, with the exception of something not listed here, and something I am forgetting was installed. It comes down to the burner software to repalce cybersuite(I will try the links mentioned). Supplimenting PC doctor or downloading that....and what to do with Word processor going bye bye. Then hoping there is not something else on the Hp recovery discs, I use or need. Oh, and hoping KM player does the job for my players. I take this to mean; Windows 10 can not interact with the HP recovery discs to download programs, and the discs are not really set up to allow individual extraction of software by novice users? Might Hp, have a listing of the programs, that came on this model PC? Getting there I think; probbly can live without the fctory programs, and some may be better. I do worry about exploits in some freware though. Not that there are not plenty of exploits, in the defacto software giants. Thanks for all the imput, I needed it.     

HP Recommended

> I still have my Photosmart D110 discs for the printer, so far not loading ...

Do those disks contain the device-drivers compatible with Windows 10?  Probably not.

Check: http://support.hp.com and search for 'D110' to try to find the compatible device-drivers.

> is there a good alternative Freeware, that will open Works Documents

I have not needed to try either OpenOffice nor LibreOffice, both open-source software packages, to see if they will read Microsoft Works files.  Maybe?

> exploits in freeware  ???

Well, there is "open-source" software, that presumably has lots of eyes viewing the source-code,

and there is "free" versions of commercial software, e.g., SPECCY and AVG both have "free" and "professional" versions.

HP Recommended

Had to hunt down the HP download sight, among all the search clutter; and finally did a manual download for the printer(up and running) The automated process seemed a bust, lots of hunting. No, printer discs only had Win 7 drivers; that is why they woudl not work with Win 10. 

Works; I downloaded both Openoffice and Libreoffice. One a friend sent, the otehr I had already hunted down before coming back here. You nailed the two open source free ones I have tried. Openoffice does, not yet have a filter for works; and the filters I tried did not seem to work. I am going to say that is a no go; but did not try that many filters. Libreoffice opened Works .wps extension files up first try. It seemed to put the header on a second page(I can live with that) but I was able to drop files in and save to .rtxt the rish text format; and now have copies that will open with wordpad. Thourhg thsi did drop my header, don't need them. I think this will work for me, and most people. Libreoffice, and not Openoffice.

Open source, and freeware, does not have the same issues as commercial software, needing updates and such? I am asking, I am not expert on this at all: ) I probably need to look up open source and read up how it works more specific. My uneducated thinking; was that it still needs updates(some anyway) so it may not get the same paid attention to patches and bugs? Maybe most fo it does not work that way? Anyway, getting ready to load speccy, and back with the AV.....and hope its all good from here. I ran a DSKCHK WITH WIN 10 for good measure though my drive seems fine. It hung all day at 10% didn't move. Defrag analyzer scanned okay. It rebooted out of the ChkDsk; and has not hung up or had any problems associated with the drive, and the system analyzer under recovery for win10(when I resored teh OP) said all is well. I am going to call it a done deal; and figure there is not easy way to get into those recovery discs; and that ground up conversion and program adaptation, is the way. Thank You!     

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.