Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 700-210xt CTO Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am looking for the latest driver marked, hp DVD-RAM GHA3N. The Update available is 6.3.9600.16384 (released Jun 20, 2013).  Somewhere there is a version of this I can download and update my driver which is 10.0,19041.3636 (released Jun 20, 2006).  You would think this would not be hard but it is ending up not so easy.  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

It is not exactly clear to what you are really asking.  Assuming you are looking in Device Manager for this info.  Is that correct?

It would need to come from Microsoft as they supply the "driver" for those devices.  Did you try updating the driver via Device Manager?

FYI: assuming you are not referring to the firmware but it can be found here:

https://burners.burn4free.com/hewlett-packard/hp-gha3n.htm

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I am not sure how much clearer I can make my post.  My Norton 360 keeps telling me that I need to update my driver for my CD ROM.  It gives me the updated file which I typed in the e-mail.  I cannot seem to access a list of those files from HP because of the age of my machine and the fact it is running the latest version of MS Windows 10, which HP does not recognize.  Since it is an HP machine, with an HP CD/DVD RW, and the exact name of the Driver is hp-DVD-RAM GHA3N. I just naturally figured that it needs to come from HP.  I can be wrong as I am not a computer guru, and just work on logic.  

To answer your question.  Device manager only will look on the machine for the driver.  I can find no way that it will go out on the internet and look for it.  So, without the updated driver on my machine, it cannot update the driver that is now installed.  And that software link you sent I have installed twice, and it still never finds an update though it must be somewhere because Symantec Norton 360 is descriptive about the driver needed.  So, what would you do? Ignore the warning all together or try to find this file it wants to see?  And how and where would you get the hp file that is from 2013? I need to try to live with this machine until next year when I will slide a new one underneath this one.  

Product: HP ENVY 700-210xt CTO Desktop PC
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-Bit)

I am looking for the latest driver marked, hp DVD-RAM GHA3N. The Update available is 6.3.9600.16384 (released Jun 20, 2013).  Somewhere there is a version of this I can download and update my driver which is 10.0,19041.3636 (released Jun 20, 2006).  You would think this would not be hard, but it is ending up not so easy.  

HP Recommended

Interesting.  You are correct in the method of updating.  It used to be it would search the internet, but no longer.  Another way to try is, while in Device Manager, click on the CD\DVD drive ">" marker.  Then Right click on the CD\DVD drive and pick uninstall driver.  Then restart the PC. 

BTW: my driver is 10.0.19041.3636 - I am running Windows 10 Pro.

That should force Windows to install a newer driver.

FYI: the driver is common for most CD\DVD drives and not specific for the hp-DVD-RAM GHA3N.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

FYI, Finally, found out how to call HP and they basically told me they would help me if I would pay them for it.  I am on fixed income and old so you can forget that.  I will put a new machine where this one is in February of 2025.  Meanwhile, I guess I will do with a driver that HP supplied me that is 5 years older than when my computer was even built.  I will not put an HP back in its place because I think it would not hurt anyone to send me a link to where I can download the driver.  I do not need their tech help.  As a concealitory gesture the tech on the phone told me to get in touch with Microsoft that they have undates to all the drivers.  Well, I did just that and I will not repeat what the MS people said about that.  So basically I cannot update my computer to a 2013 driver, because no one will tell me where to get the file.  Meanwhile my 12 year old Envy is getting long in the tooth and I just have to accept that.  The MS Tech did admit that Windows 10 on has the worst Device Manager ever.  I knew that.  I tried uninstalling and all like you said but the Device Manager only looks at what is on your harddrive / SSD.  No where else will it look.  And it will not let me as an administrator delete the file from System 32.  So that is as far as I got with that.  MS Tech cannot help so it is a dead issue.  Thanks for responding.  🙂

HP Recommended

I did some more checking.  Since my Windows 10 has the CD/DVD driver already, I cannot tell if this will work for you or not, but did find this:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-properly-update-device-drivers-windows-10

See if that will update the driver.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.