Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 8 (1,247 Views)

hp pd500a: Beep noise when connected to laptop and not getting detected/connected

500gb hard drive. beep noise coming from the hard drive when connected to laptop.tried connecting to friends laptop but still won't detect.kindly help me out.

Associate Dean
Message 2 of 8 (1,230 Views)

Re: hp pd500a: Beep noise when connected to laptop and not getting detected/connected

If you mean an external hard drive being connected to a laptop, please provide the name and Model number of the external drive.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Honor Student
Message 3 of 8 (1,222 Views)

Re: hp pd500a: Beep noise when connected to laptop and not getting detected/connected

Product Name: HP PORTABLE HARD DISK DRIVE

HP Model: hp pd500a

Model: WDBACZ5000ABK-BEHP

it has been less than 2 months since i bought this drive and it's gone bonkers already!

Associate Dean
Message 4 of 8 (1,218 Views)

Actually I never have had the occasion for an external drive to beep.  I can only guess on this, but try it on a desktop computer to see if there is any response different from what has been observed on the laptops.  The only possible reason other than the drive has failed, may be the laptop USB port cannot supply enough power to run the drive.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Honor Student
Message 5 of 8 (1,216 Views)

it's not getting detected on a desktop computer too.thanks for replying bud!

Honor Student
Message 6 of 8 (33 Views)

hp pd500a external

TheOldMan wrote:

If you mean an external hard drive being connected to a laptop, please provide the name and Model number of the external drive.

hard drive light is on and computer recognizes it, but it no longer flashes to upload file information.  Using an PC OS

TheOldMan wrote:

If you mean an external hard drive being connected to a laptop, please provide the name and Model number of the ehp pd500a external

TheOldMan wrote:

hp pd500a external

xternal drive.

Honor Student
Message 7 of 8 (29 Views)

hp external hard drive hp500a light goes on but does not load files.  Using an PC with OS 7.0.  It worked before on this machine

HP Support Agent
Message 8 of 8 (17 Views)

Hi @chemrox,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand you are having issues with your external hard not working properly, don't worry we'll work together to find a solution for you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you tried using a new USB port or USB cable?

Are you able to use any other USB device?

Do you get any error message?

When you plug in the USB cable does the computer make any noise?

Try plugging it into a different USB port on your PC.  Then from the Start Menu, click the Control Panel, open Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Storage and then Disk Management.  Does the drive show up here?

For more details, please click here

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Biswajeet
I am an HP Employee

Please click “Accept as Solution” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the “Thumbs Up” to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation