Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY23
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My computer frequently displays the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH stating memory problems; refuses to allow updates stating "memory error"; and I ran the memory diagnostic (by powering on and entering the diagnostic menu by pressing F2) and memory test fails. I've tried restoring to a previous point, fails due to "memory error". Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Josh0610 wrote:

.... F2) and memory test fails. I've tried restoring to a previous point, fails due to "memory error". Any suggestions?

Hi,

That means RAM failed. You have to replace RAM, restore back to the previous point won't help.  What is your ENVY23 ? Please check its label at the back.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Josh0610 wrote:

.... F2) and memory test fails. I've tried restoring to a previous point, fails due to "memory error". Any suggestions?

Hi,

That means RAM failed. You have to replace RAM, restore back to the previous point won't help.  What is your ENVY23 ? Please check its label at the back.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
Well dang, thank you for the info. Do you know if I could have done something to accord this failure? here is the service tag info:
Product # H5P56AA#ABA
Model No. 23-d284
HP Recommended

Hi,

RAM can fail by it own (like a light bulb/globe) even very rare. The following link shows specs of your computer:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03835355

Currently it has 8GB in two slots (2 pieces, 4GB each). It supports up to 16GB max (8GB + 8GB)

Probably one piece failed and you don't know which one. Please try the simple test: pull one out and try only one then swap, you can work out which one failed and go out to buy the same one to replace it.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended
Awesome, thank you for your support 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi,

You are welcome and have a good weekend.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

> Please try the simple test: pull one out and try only one ...

Disconnect the AC power.

Pull out one RAM chip.

Reconnect the AC power.

Startup the computer and select "HP Diagnostics", and run the "RAM memory test",

i.e., no need to waste your time by booting your computer into Windows.

If the RAM "fails", you have found the "bad" stick.

If the RAM "passes", then shutdown, cut the power, pull the stick, insert the other stick into the RAM slot that the "good" stick occupied, connect the power, boot into the RAM-test.

The above testing used just ONE of the TWO slots for RAM.

It might be prudent to insert the "good" stick into the OTHER slot, and rerun the RAM-test,

just to make sure that the *SLOT* is not causing the problem.

While the "Van Allen" magnetic belts around the planet block most radiation from the sun, it's always possible that some neutrios from the sun may have "hit" your stick of RAM, and "zapped" it.  Bring on the tin-foil hats.  :-))))

This is a real problem, should there ever be a manned expedition to Mars, which has no such belts -- lots of radiation-exposure during the trip to Mars, and more when "outside" on the surface of Mars.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.