Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
p7-1226s
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The trojan "sysWOW64" has invaded my system. I've been advised to reinstall the operatng system. But I don't want to lose all my stuff accumulated over the years! I have HP Recovery on the d: drive ond on 4 cd's. Can I use Recovery to restore my computer without losing everything? If so, how?

Oh, and would these disks have Windows 7's SP1?

Thanks,

Wm. Bastedo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@bayedo

Sorry, but the advice you are being given is not the best.  Whenever a PC is infected, there is really no accurate way of know all the places the infection could have happened and where the components are hiding.  Merely restoring the OS in insufficient because it runs a high risk of leaving the infection agents in place --especially since they did NOT come with the OS and are not part of it.

The only safe option is to do a complete factory reset -- and this erases everything from the hard drive.

So, you need to do the following:

1) Product keys:  Use one of these tools to make an offline record of the product keys for the OS and other apps on your PC: https://www.lifewire.com/free-product-key-finder-programs-2625119

2) Make note of all the apps you have installed and obtain new installation files needed to reinstall them

3) Copy off all the personal files and folders you want to retain to a USB stick or external drive

THEN, you can use the disks to do a factory reset.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@bayedo

Sorry, but the advice you are being given is not the best.  Whenever a PC is infected, there is really no accurate way of know all the places the infection could have happened and where the components are hiding.  Merely restoring the OS in insufficient because it runs a high risk of leaving the infection agents in place --especially since they did NOT come with the OS and are not part of it.

The only safe option is to do a complete factory reset -- and this erases everything from the hard drive.

So, you need to do the following:

1) Product keys:  Use one of these tools to make an offline record of the product keys for the OS and other apps on your PC: https://www.lifewire.com/free-product-key-finder-programs-2625119

2) Make note of all the apps you have installed and obtain new installation files needed to reinstall them

3) Copy off all the personal files and folders you want to retain to a USB stick or external drive

THEN, you can use the disks to do a factory reset.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.