Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Pavilion Slimline s5650uk-m, OS Windows 7 64bit. Windows Update (WU) did not offer Service Pack 1. After some investigation, I discovered that this was because KB2454826 had not been installed. This did not appear on WU, apparently, because of an incompatibility with my graphics driver (Intel v. 8.15.10.2119). This is confirmed by Microsoft Article KB2498452. I checked that this was the latest driver on the HP website. There is a later version on Intel's site, but it says that I must use the HP one.

I rang HP Support and they said that they couldn't help me. I bought the computer from PC World a month ago. HP said that I should contact PC World support. They were also unable to help and said that I should contact HP. I said that I had done so and they told me to contact PC World support. They then advised me to download the updated driver from Intel's website. I did this and it wouldn't instal because it did not validate and said that I should go to HP's website.

So, I'm going round in circles. It seems obvious that either Microsoft need to issue a version of KB2454826 which is compatible with the driver or, more sensibly, that HP need to make the latest Intel driver available to its customers. We currently have the situation where brand new HP computers are unable to update to W7 SP1. I realise that this update is not essential at the moment, but I like to keep my computer completely up to date. At some stage MS will issue an update that requires SP1.

Has anyone got any idea if HP are aware of this problem and, if so, how long it is likely to be before an updated driver is released.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't have an answer for you, but I am not clear on why you can't install the newest graphics driver from the Intel website.

Did you attempt to install it and received an error on installation that stated you have to use the HP graphics driver?

I have downloaded the latest Intel graphics drivers for many of my HP PC's using Intel graphics drivers. I never had an issue.

I know that if you experience a problem with a driver not listed on HP's support site, HP won't provide support for that driver. But that never stopped me.  :generic:

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi Paul. Thanks for the reply. When I try to install the new driver, I get a message that it's not validated for my computer:

Intel.png

As you can see, I don't get any options. :Crying:

David

HP Recommended

Hi, David:

That is unfortunate. I've never heard of that before.

I sure hope that HP and Intel are working on a joint fix.

You may want to contact Intel to see if they are working on an updated driver for HP, since they must be supplying them with most of the programming.

Paul

HP Recommended

Beynac,

I am also NOT seeing Windows 7 SP1 in Windows Update see my post:  http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-systems-and/Windows-7-Service-Pack-1-Not-Listed/td-p/...

I have not yet tried to install the driver from the intel site since I am now away from home for  a week and don't have access to my PC.  What procedure did you use to try to install the Intel driver?  did you first uninstall the original?

As I said I have not tried a fix yet since I am not at home and kinda wnat to see if HP come out with a fix but check out this forum which I have also posted in:  http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/146357-sp1-not-listed-wu.html  Also not in this post that I DO infact have KB 2454826 Installed I am sill not being offered SP1

This is a great froum ou may want to join!  Keep me informed if you come up with a solution.  I REALLY do not want to call HP tech support if I don't have to

HP Recommended

Hi, David:

Did that Intel driver extract to a folder?

If it did, did you try to manually install the driver by clicking on your graphics adapter in the device manager, click on the driver tab, click on the update driver button and manually browse to the Intel driver folder (if one was created during setup) and manually selecting the driver?

It may load that way.

Just a thought...

Paul

HP Recommended

I tried updating via Device Manager and all it said was that my driver was up to date. Thanks for the suggestion

I have been looking into the possible problems with KB 2454826. It seemed to be worth a gamble that I wouldn't have the problems other people have found. I decided to install it, as I could always uninstall it if I had problems. It worked fine and I haven't had any problems (yet!).

Windows Update was still not offering SP1, so I downloaded it and installed it manually. Everything looks fine. I obviously still need an updated graphics driver, but I'm now happy to wait for a while.

Thank you both for you input.

David

HP Recommended

That's good. You probably won't have any issues.

I downloaded the SP1 ISO file and burned it to a DVD. I rather install those large SP's manually, not through Windows Update.

HP Recommended

There is no "special" HP drivers for the Intel GPU. If it's not listed, get it from Intel's site.

HP, like others, don't update their driver page often. Since the release of the drivers for one Pavillion model i know of, ATI/AMD have release an update at least once a month.

If you can find them, get the drivers from WU or the manufacturer's web site.

Install all important and optional drivers from WU. Back up your data and see if SP1 is available.

See also http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/

HP Recommended

I have a Pavilion dm4-11xx series and had the problem.

The problem is related to ATI´s switchable graphics and an old and dated Intel driver

1) Download and Install DriverSweeper and CCleaner

2) Uninstall ATI Catalyst Software (All components & Intel Management Engine)

3) Reboot and enter in Safe Mode, then run DriverSweeper and remove ATI Driver leftover files

4) Perform a Normal Reboot

5) You shoud now have two display adapters listed in the device manager as "VGA compliant card", If not, try to uninstal and remove existing files via properties tab, then reboot

6) Windows Update should now offer to update your Intel HD Graphics to the latest one

7) A couple of reboots latter you should be offered  KB2454826 and, hopefully Windows 7 SP1 x64

😎 Be shure to install ATI Catalyst Drivers afterwards to setup your main video card adapter

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.