Question

Tutor
Fangar
Message 1 of 14 (43,578 Views)

D Drive almost Full? which files should i delete?

[ Edited ]

hi, i need some help please! my d drive is full. last time it was full because it had my backup thing but i removed it from there. Now it's almost full again but the backup isn't there so it must be sometime else! which file should i delete? i dont remember saving anything there.

thanks!
Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 2 of 14 (43,573 Views)

Re: D Drive almost Full? which files should i delete?

[ Edited ]

If this is a HP/Compaq computer, your "D:" partition should never have anything written it outside of the original HP factory recovery files. If you delete anything, it may prevent you from recoverying your computer if needed. If anything is writing to your "D:" partition, you should try to determine what is and prevent it from doing so in the future.

Frank

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Provost
CherylG
Message 3 of 14 (43,574 Views)

Re: D Drive almost Full? which files should i delete?

All of those look legit to me. The Recovery partition is set up to only be large enough to hold the files for reinstalling your Windows and software/drivers. Mine appears almost full as well, this is by design.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
catdogcord
Message 4 of 14 (42,877 Views)

Re: D Drive almost Full? which files should i delete?and how to view D drive?

I can not even open my D drive to see what's on it,much less know what keeps writing new items there!!!

Maybe if I could open the thing I can trace it! :/

It seems like every time I download something it says ...C... but some things are still being put in D drive,it is now almost maxed!!! I found one BS text document but it was only 1k and just a date no data so I deleted that 1k ,that really helped :smileytongue:geez :smileywink:

Any Ideas as to how I may open this without harming the recovery data?

I'm running Windows7 Home Premium 64 bit on a HP Compaq Presario CG56.

ALSO it seems to have come from the factory with error messages in the event viewer long before I even bought it brand new too!!!

I was able to delete those after having a time with a virus,some MS "Tech." wanted to charge me $110 for a years worth of remote fixes I could do myself with just a little knowledge!Disconnected the remote when I showed Him the list of events,He only wanted my money not to help me fix the viruses and the errors!!!**bleep** Foriegn call centers :/!!!They have never been any Help,first time I was having any kind of trouble ...told me to do a Factory Reset,which they neglected to tell me it would REMOVE any FREE remote fixes in the future!!!

I had almost 9 months left of them too!!!

I did manage to get rid of the Viruses myself but only after 3 days of racking my brains and BS searches that led me BACK to the same old BS again!!! Only way I was able to rid it of the thing was a Restore to an earlier time,when I had Avast,the Virus had disabled all my security,after going throuhg it like it wasn't even there!!!

It had not been infected,and ran it in SAFE MODE to be extra sure :smileywink:

All seems fine now,but after another Reset my D rive filled up too fast,and need to fix this now!

Thank you for listening to my long winded message but needed to explain quite a bit so it might help with an answer!

Intern
LisaDanielle
Message 5 of 14 (42,768 Views)

D:/ Drive, thats your Recovery Partition, which is a backup in case your computer crashes then you won't lose personal files.

I deleted my Recovery Partition all together, and got back 11GB.

To delete it:

1. Go to Control Panel from the Start Menu

2. Open Administrator Tools/ then Computer Management

3. From the menu open Disk Management

4.You will see Recovery Partition D, Right click it and choose Delete from drop-down menu.

Thats it, youre done!

LisaF

Intern
LisaDanielle
Message 6 of 14 (42,767 Views)

Forgot to mention that the only way to view whats on D: is by making a backup of it. You have allready seen what's on Drive D: because it is a mirror image of your Operating System; Drive C.

Just delete it, then forget it.

If you choose to back it up, I'm sure you know how to do that......Lisa

Intern
LisaDanielle
Message 7 of 14 (42,766 Views)

****Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!.****
**Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a Reply that solves your issue helps others who are searching**

Top Student
catdogcord
Message 8 of 14 (42,762 Views)

so I get this e-mail this morning and it says to look for the clickon  select as solution or something like,so where the heck is the click on??? I omly see the kudos :smileytongue:

Tutor
Roddo
Message 9 of 14 (42,253 Views)

Unless you have create a set of Recovery Media, I suggested that you should not delete this partition. HP allows you create backup & restore your computer to its original factory setting from this partition or the recovery media.

===========================================
The opinions expressed above are my personal opinions , not of HP.
Please have respect to others, and give the credits to its right owner.
Intern
LisaDanielle
Message 10 of 14 (40,946 Views)

[ Edited ]

catdogcord wrote:

so I get this e-mail this morning and it says to look for the clickon  select as solution or something like,so where the heck is the click on??? I omly see the kudos :smileytongue:

You seem like a nice gal, thanks for kudoing me!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation