Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP All-in-One Desktop PC 24-cb1000i (4N1P3AV)

Here's the background.

I bought a new HP AIO to replace my ancient HP desktop - so old that when I entered the SN and prod # it wasn't recognized.

What I'm trying to do is connect my new AIO to the old desktop to transfer selected files. Every thing I've tried so far, like copy/paste to USB, burn to CD/DVD, etc. doesn't work. My old desktop has a non-working CD/DVD burner and 8 USB  slots that do not recognize my portable HDDs. Therefore, I'm unable to burn files to DVD or copy/paste to my portable HDD.

On both my AIO and old desktop, both computers are listed under "Network". When I try to access my AIO from the old desktop I get this:

boong1_0-1715606790700.png

I have no idea what the credentials are. I've used the User Name a pw when I originally set-up the AIO and the change  required necessary for another action. I couldn't use the router info because there is no User Name with it, only a password.

I've went to the MS site that has instructions for setting up a network but it doesn't work. Don't really see a need for that as both computers are listed on the Network link.

When I try to access the old desktop from my AIO, I get the alert saying Network - unable to access - you don't have permission to access, contact your network administrator. I'm the administrator on both computers.

Does anybody know what I need to do to access my desktop from my AIO?

JEA
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @boong1,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're encountering some connectivity issues between your old desktop and your new HP All-In-One (AIO) PC. Let's break down the steps to troubleshoot and resolve this.

• Network Discovery and Sharing Settings: Ensure that network discovery and file sharing are enabled on both computers. You can check this by going to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings. Make sure that network discovery, file and printer sharing, and public folder sharing are turned on.
  • Check Firewall Settings: Sometimes, firewall settings can block network access. Make sure that your firewall settings are not blocking file sharing between the two computers. You may need to add exceptions or create rules to allow file sharing.
  • Shared Folder: Create a shared folder on either computer that you want to transfer files to/from. Right-click on the folder you want to share, select "Properties," go to the "Sharing" tab, and click "Advanced Sharing." Enable sharing for this folder and set permissions accordingly (e.g., Everyone, specific users).
  • Username and Password: When accessing shared folders between computers, Windows may prompt you for a username and password. Use the username and password of the account you're logged into on the other computer. If you haven't set up a specific user account for sharing, try using the username and password of an account with administrative privileges.
  • HomeGroup: If both computers are running Windows 7 or later, you can try creating a HomeGroup to simplify file sharing. Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > HomeGroup, and follow the prompts to create a HomeGroup. Join both computers to the same HomeGroup and enable file sharing.
  • Network Troubleshooter: If you're still having issues, you can use the built-in network troubleshooter in Windows to diagnose and fix common network problems. Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Troubleshoot problems, and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.
  • Restart Router: Sometimes, simply restarting your router can resolve network connectivity issues. Unplug the router from power, wait a few seconds, and then plug it back in.
  • Ethernet Connection: If both computers have Ethernet ports, you can try connecting them directly with an Ethernet cable to see if that resolves the issue. This can help rule out any wireless connectivity issues.

By following these steps, you should be able to establish a network connection between your old desktop and your new HP All-In-One PC and transfer files successfully.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.