Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Windows 10 on HP Compaq dc7900

Windows 10 on HP Compaq dc7900 SFF

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

To be realistic, probably NOT going to happen. Wny?

First off, MS shut down the Win7-toWin10 Upgrade programs months ago, so now, you have to BUY Windows 10.

Second, HP does not sell Windows, so you will have to buy this online and that means you will not get an HP OEM version of Windows.

Third, you will not get the HP drivers needed for your laptop because the MS version of Windows does not install those drivers.  So some of your hardware will not work properly as a result.  If HP ships these with Win10 on them, they they MIGHT have a product page for downloading drivers, but I do not have that information, so I can not help with that.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@tehrantat 

W10/W11 works just fine on the dc7900.

I know this to be true because I have one that I had upgraded to W10 a long time ago, and when W11 came out, I upgraded to W11.

The only drivers you need to install are the W7 audio driver, the W7 HECI driver and the W7 AMT-SOL driver from the support page.

The bad news is as WAWood has already indicated, if you want to install W10, you will need to purchase a W10 license and product key because Microsoft closed the loophole in October of 2023 that allowed folks to continue to get the free upgrade from W7, W8, W8.1 to W10 after the free upgrade period expired in 2016.

Unless you love your PC very much and have put many upgrades into it, I would not put any money into it for a W10 operating system since it is more than 14 years old.

Not to mention that Microsoft will be ending support for W10 in less than a year and a half, and upgrading to W11 requires additional steps to bypass Mircosoft's W11 hardware checks.

The PC does not meet any of Microsoft's minimum hardware requirements to natively run W11.

It does not have a UEFI BIOS

It does not support secure boot

It does not have a TPM 2.0 security device (only TPM 1.2).

It does not have an Intel 8th generation core processor.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.