Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 700XT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Last evening Windows locked up (not certain if an update came through automatically while it was unattended or if I somehow picked up a virus - I do maintain an anti-virus), but cannot get it to boot up successfully now.  I attempted the restore function but still a problem.  Not certain where to begin to repair now at this point.  Can anyone provide any suggestions?  I have had the deskstop for three years and this is really the first issue in all that time.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Many thanks Photoray002 for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.  Essentially what happened was, while the PC was left idle, I'm not sure if an update came through or what, but after that point, the PC locked up and the only way I could escape out was to hold the power button down and shut down.  When I turned back on, it would boot up as far as the blue screen and it was from there that I had options for repair, refresh, etc.  I had looked online for solutions so followed the path I found through HP troubleshooting and nothing worked until I tried the "Reset PC" function where I then lost any programs that didn't come on the machine but maintained all my personal files.  That process worked and I can now load the programs back in.  Incidentally, I updated to Windows 10 some time ago with no issues so appears it wasn't related to that.

I am up and operational again now but do appreciate you taking the time to respond, much appreciated!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello GBSK

Welcome to the HP forum.

I could use a little more detail just to clarify whats happening.

When you say your system wont boot successfully now, in which way?

The system powers on but no screen appears?

The loading screen appears but Windows does not load?

Windows loads but freezes?

Are there any error codes?

When you tried to restore function, did you mean you ran a system recovery to reinstall Windows, how did you do that?

If you upgraded to Windows 10, the recovery partition via F11 wont work anymore.

You would have to clean install Window 10 via the Microsoft Media Creation Tool and a USB thumb drive.

Let me know and I will help as best I can.

HP Recommended

Many thanks Photoray002 for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.  Essentially what happened was, while the PC was left idle, I'm not sure if an update came through or what, but after that point, the PC locked up and the only way I could escape out was to hold the power button down and shut down.  When I turned back on, it would boot up as far as the blue screen and it was from there that I had options for repair, refresh, etc.  I had looked online for solutions so followed the path I found through HP troubleshooting and nothing worked until I tried the "Reset PC" function where I then lost any programs that didn't come on the machine but maintained all my personal files.  That process worked and I can now load the programs back in.  Incidentally, I updated to Windows 10 some time ago with no issues so appears it wasn't related to that.

I am up and operational again now but do appreciate you taking the time to respond, much appreciated!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.