Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Desktop 510-p150na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is a brand new computer and when first turned on the resolution was wrong for my monitor.  When altering resolution and trying to find best one, my desktop screen suddenly shrunk and cannot get it to full size to occupy my whole monitor.  Tried everything.   Resolution changing does not solve this issue and put another computer onto monitor and no problems with monitor.  It is my new computer setting that has gone wrong. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @lindainspain,

Good Day.  Thank you for stopping by the HP forums. I understand that you are having issues with display resolution of your new computer. I will be really glad to assist you here. 🙂

Splendid description and superb analysis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂 You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you with it. I take it as a privilege to share this.

For better clarity, I would require more information regarding this to assist you.

• Did you try to uninstall and reinstall the display drivers from device manager?

For a start please uninstall the display drivers from device manager and restart the computer.

That should do the trick for you.

Steps to do it:

• Start -> Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Device Manager.
  • In the Device Manager window, look for “Monitors”, then right-click your monitor and select “Uninstall”. Be sure to also check the “Remove driver” option. Once removed, click the “Scan for hardware changes” icon
  • Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand display adapters>then select the display drivers that are listed and right-click on it and uninstall the drivers.
  • Then restart the computer. This should do the trick for you.

For further assistance regarding changing display and screen resolutions, please click here and use the windows recommended settings.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply but I have a more serious problem now.  I cannot follow your advice about the reinstalling the driver as my monitor is now displaying "INPUT SIGNAL OUT OF RANGE"   CURRENT MODE: H=724kHz V= 60Hz.  Change Mode to 1920 x 1080 - 60Hz.   So now the only way to continue using my new computer is using a old portable television that we have.  The monitor still works fine with my old computer but not with my new computer.  I am beginning to get very unhappy with this new computer that I have bought.  When looking at my new computer on my old television screen I can see 3 messages

Restart to repair drive errors

Scan drive for errors

Continue to update drive

I am very concerned wondering if there is something seriously wrong with my new purchase.  I am unclear why on first day with my new computer I shoud be reinstalling drivers etc etc.

HP Recommended

Hi @lindainspain,

I read the reply about the monitor \'s error message "displaying "INPUT SIGNAL OUT OF RANGE"   CURRENT MODE: H=724kHz V= 60Hz.  C"

You've also stated that an old TV works fine with the computer. Brilliant effort, great resolve, and persistence to try and get the computer's issue corrected. Hats off you for that. 🙂

Please note if the old TV is working fine, there is nothing wrong with the computer. It is just that you need to change the Display settings of the computer to match the frequency of the Monitor.

So as this is a new computer and you are not able to work on it with the monitor because of these errors, I would suggest that you perform these steps.

• Please connect the TV to the computer for doing it.
  • Please perform a hard reset on the computer first from this link: http://support.hp.com/za-en/document/c01463028  and follow only the steps mentioned to perform a hard reset.
  • Then please ensure that you backup all your important files to an external flash drive or to the cloud before doing performing a complete system recovery to factory settings from this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758961 and follow the option “Recovery when Windows 10 does not start correctly” this should definitely do the trick for you.

Please keep me posted. I am always there to assist you. This should correct the situation for you.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.