Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Loud, disturbing humming-sound from right backside of the monitor.

Brightness level affects this sound and it disappears at brightness level of 100 (100%).

Maybe it is from back-light inverter?

Pushing monitor from back with hand will muffle this sound a little bit.

Maybe this is resonance?

I'm sure it is NOT coming from internal speakers.

Monitor settings are in factory default state.

So how can I or you fix this.

Does this affect the lifetime of the monitor? :smileysad:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi!

I had now got to the bottom of this problem. And what I figured out:

Problem: Humming / Buzzing sound from HP's (19 - 24 inches ?) (models >2008 ?) widescreen "mirror surface" displays.

Users figure: Brightness level affects this sound "pitch".

Source of this sound: Power and/or backlight inverter (coil vibrance).

Cause: Bad filter capacitor(s) or coil(s) or both.

Solution: HP will not repair this monitor under warranty but they will send you a brand new one.

DIY solution: Fast: use spray called "transformer varnish" to mount components tightly to PCB so no coil vibration is possible. Better: Replace components (capacitors / coils). Warranty void if varnish is used or components replaced or even monitor case removed.

So call directly to HP support if warranty left. Otherwise try a local tv repair shop or do-it-yourself (diy).

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended
Hi, You're not the only one with this problem....If you unplug out the Audio cable on the back of the monitor the hum goes away, but of course you can't use the speakers.... This is my second one, I brought the other one back to the store because I thought it was defective and got another one with the same problem. Sometimes it even makes the picture distorted with a real faint blurring image. Guess HP has a problem to solve. Mine is going back again tomorrow  I'll probably replace it with a sammy, too bad it's a real nice looking monitor. Good Luck With Yours..... I swear these companies use us as beta testers.
HP Recommended

Just picked mine up two days ago and the first day was fine.  Booted up yesterday and today and the hum is there.

I'm not using the internal speakers and I can change the tone/pace of the humming by playing with contrast and brightness - clearly something on the video side of the electronics.  Using VGA.

I have an additional problem in that when playing a video (CNN, HULU, etc.) the screen wiggles, just a slight amount of side to side movement - couple of pixels at most.  Rather disturbing.

I have a case open with HP.  We'll see.

HP Recommended
Good Luck with that, After my two bad ones, I gave up and bought the 24 " dell with sound bar it has everything the HP has, minus the usb ports, but it also has a DVI, along with the HDMI and VGA and no hum or wiggle it also comes with a 3 yr war, and was 50 bucks cheaper. Don't stress yourself out over a defective model. Take Care
HP Recommended

Hi!

I had now got to the bottom of this problem. And what I figured out:

Problem: Humming / Buzzing sound from HP's (19 - 24 inches ?) (models >2008 ?) widescreen "mirror surface" displays.

Users figure: Brightness level affects this sound "pitch".

Source of this sound: Power and/or backlight inverter (coil vibrance).

Cause: Bad filter capacitor(s) or coil(s) or both.

Solution: HP will not repair this monitor under warranty but they will send you a brand new one.

DIY solution: Fast: use spray called "transformer varnish" to mount components tightly to PCB so no coil vibration is possible. Better: Replace components (capacitors / coils). Warranty void if varnish is used or components replaced or even monitor case removed.

So call directly to HP support if warranty left. Otherwise try a local tv repair shop or do-it-yourself (diy).

HP Recommended

jeffmarshall911:

screen wiggles -> the most likely this is a bad or low-quality or too long (over 5 meters) VGA-cable (with D-SUB-connectors) or broken video card.

Solutions:

* Try different VGA-cable.

* Try different video card and different (monitor max. capable) resolution.

* Use digital interface (DVI/HDMI).

hum is there -> try setting monitor volume to value 0 or see solution above

Message Edited by enyone on 01-22-2009 10:03 AM
HP Recommended

Thanks for the replies!

Support has new monitor enroute for a swap.

Good point enyone, I'm on a 3y/o Lenovo laptop with ATI Video.  The cable is the stock cable that came with the new monitor and is 4'.  Probably my video on the laptop (poorly) trying to keep up with me.

I'll repost with findings after the new monitor arrives and is in-service. 

/Jeff

HP Recommended

Just bought this now-discontinued monitor at Future Shop. They matched the closeout price on HP Canada online store of $299.99.

Same problem with buzzing.But I found it was actually coming from the speakers.

Disconnecting the audio cord, or turning down the speaker volume using the monitor's screen controls, to zero, eliminated it. Good thing, as these monitors are now sold out at the HP online store, and hard to find anywhere in Canada at a good price.

The only other place I found them was at factorydirect.ca store in Kitchener, where they are refurbished and rebranded (HP logo replaced with a nondescript logo) and selling for $299. 

HP Recommended

I've been searching for this monitor online for hours!  Thanks for the tip re. the debranded version in Kitchener...crappy part is that I wouldn't get the HP support with that one (I don't think), nor do I want to drive out there.  It's actually at $269.99 at factorydirect.ca now.

Anyone know of any other resellers in the GTA who are carrying this monitor??

Thanks! 

HP Recommended

There may still be a real one in Kitchener.

Yesterday when I was in the Staples Business Depot store at 150 Gateway Park Drive in Kitchener (near Hwy 401), I noticed they had one of these monitors listed on their 'clearance' bulletin board just inside the door -- and for only $259.

You might want to call that store. The number is 519-650-4708.

If they still have it, they'd probably ship it to a Staples close to you. Or, if you pick it up, that store is just off the 401 (take Hwy 8 east, then the Sportsworld Drive west exit, then left at Gateway Park Road). You might also call some other Staples stores, as there may be some others similarly clearing out store stock.

If you end up driving to the Ktichener store to get it, stop at the nearby Pioneer BBQ restaurant, famous for its home-made pies and desserts.

Good luck . . .

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.