Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z1 G2 G1X45EA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Question :

Which version of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology  Utility and Driver for Microsoft Windows needs to be installed on an HP Z1 G2 Workstation running Windows 10(64bit)

The last softpaq I can find a reference to is SOFTPAQ NUMBER: SP65019

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Utility and Driver for Microsoft Windows
VERSION: 12.8.2.1000 Rev. B

But, that version does not list support for Windows 10(64bit)

Anyone running  Intel Rapid Storage Technology  Utility and Driver for Microsoft Windows  on a HP Z1 G2  running Windows 10(64bit) ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you don't get an answer from anyone that has the same workstation, you may want to try the latest W8.1 driver from your PC's support page...W8.1 storage drivers usually work on W10.

13.0.0.1098 Rev. A     May 1, 2014

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66001-66500/sp66164.exe

HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice, but after reading other posts, Intel RST driver for Windows 8.1 is not compatible with Windows 10.

That’s what prompted my question.

HP produced a Softpaq for the HP Z1 G3 workstation to add support for Intel RST Driver running on Windows 10(64bit)

But it does not include explicit support for the C226 chipset used by the Z1 G2

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is interesting the W8.1 RST driver doesn't work on that platform.

Go to the device manager, and check the name of the Intel storage controller found under either the storage controllers device manager category, or the IDE ATA\ATAPI storage controllers device manager category (depends on what storage controller setting the BIOS is set to).

Download the W10 RST driver from the G3, use a free utility such as 7-Zip to extract the driver folder from the exe file, and see if the same name storage controller is listed under the one of the setup information files.

If it is, then that driver should also work on the G2.

For example, I have extracted the files out of the driver I posted above, and here is the list of supported drive controllers in the 2 setup information files.

iaAHCIC:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D02&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) C600 Series Chipset SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E02&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C02&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C03&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) 8 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C82&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) 9 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C83&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) 9 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C02&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C03&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) 8 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"

iaStorAC:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller"

Yours should be one of those I marked in red.

HP Recommended

The Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series chipset is listed in device manager, so the Intel RST driver for the G3 may work.

I want to switch to using the Intel AHCI driver in place of the Microsoft Standard SATA AHCI driver.

Will try it and confirm if it works OK

HP Recommended

Extracting the AHCI driver from Intel Rapid Storage Technology Utility / Driver for Microsoft Windows 10 x64 14.8.7.1051 Rev.A

Works OK and no errors in the event log.

I only needed a Windows 10(64bit)  Intel AHCI driver that would work with the HP Z1 G2.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.