Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP27vc
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I purchased this monitor at Staples last weekend.  I installed it, and also the HP Support Assistant.  When finished, I then found I was still operating under the Windows "generic pnp monitor" driver.

HP Support Assistant was no help at all - it could not recognize that I am using a HP monitor.

So I called HP Tech support today - as it turned out, this is off-shore support.  After finally convincing them that I indeed had an HP device that was under warranty, I was connected with another off-shore technician, who proceeded to "instruct me" that there are NO HP DRIVERS - everything uses generic drivers.  At this point, I realized that I was being fed a lot of bovine manure.  When I asked why HP Support Assistant did not see the monitor on my system, he said it was not supposed to see the monitor, only the mainframe pc.  I told him that he was not very helpful, and ended the call.

So I dug some more, and sure enough, I found HP27vc LCD Monitor driver, sp73128.exe.  I installed this, and now my Monitor is running with the HP driver,  and not the generic one.

I checked HP Support Assistant once more, wondering that if the correct driver was now installed, it might now see the monitor, but alas, it still does not see it.

Is it worthwhile to keep this HP Support Assistant installed ?  I mean, since it does not see the monitor, how can it be of any use to me ?

Any comments or thoughts appreciated

ceetiger

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I would imagine that you may get all kinds of varying opinions regarding the usefulness of the HP Support Assistant (HPSA) software.

That is one of the first programs I uninstall when I get a HP PC.

As you found out, you can check your HP product's support page for new drivers (or drivers in general).

One of the things that scares me is that some folks have the HPSA software running automatically, and it will download and install software updates without the user knowing it.

This can be particularly dangerous if it downloads and installs a BIOS update to the PC, and you are working on the PC during this process.  You may not even know it is running, or casually dismiss any notifications as you are busy (I do that now and then), and if you were to shut down your PC during a BIOS update, you end up with a dead PC.

I have read a few forum posts where this has indeed happened to a few unfortunate folks.

You can set the program to notify you only, and then you chose when and what updates to install.

I just get rid of it...one more application running in the background to slow down your PC.

Run the disk cleanup and optimization utilities at least once a month to keep your PC running fine.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

I would imagine that you may get all kinds of varying opinions regarding the usefulness of the HP Support Assistant (HPSA) software.

That is one of the first programs I uninstall when I get a HP PC.

As you found out, you can check your HP product's support page for new drivers (or drivers in general).

One of the things that scares me is that some folks have the HPSA software running automatically, and it will download and install software updates without the user knowing it.

This can be particularly dangerous if it downloads and installs a BIOS update to the PC, and you are working on the PC during this process.  You may not even know it is running, or casually dismiss any notifications as you are busy (I do that now and then), and if you were to shut down your PC during a BIOS update, you end up with a dead PC.

I have read a few forum posts where this has indeed happened to a few unfortunate folks.

You can set the program to notify you only, and then you chose when and what updates to install.

I just get rid of it...one more application running in the background to slow down your PC.

Run the disk cleanup and optimization utilities at least once a month to keep your PC running fine.

HP Recommended

Ceetiger, welcome to the forum.

I brought your situation to the attention of the appropriate people within HP.  They appreciate hearing constructive criticism.  It is the only way that they can correct possible problems.  Thank you!

Now, for your question about HP Support Assistant.  Yes, I believe that it is worth using.  However, you should make certain that you have the latest version from here.  Make certain that you install the appropriate version for your computer.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

As a consumer, I can tell you that all HP monitors are listed as Generic PNP Monitor.

HP Recommended

Thanks to everyone for your responses.  I have decided to remove HPSA.

ceetiger

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.