Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I was on my laptop and decided that I would plug my mouse in. My mouse is a Wireless HP x4000. I replaced the batteries in it and made sure that they worked by putting them in a separate device and seeing if that device would work. Once I plugged the receiver into my computer and turned the mouse on, a blue light on the mouse began to blink. I held the connect button down for a couple of seconds before letting it go. It blinked for about ten seconds before the light turned off and the mouse still will not work.

My computer is giving me an error message stating that a USB device I plugged in beforehand is not recognized and says that it has malfunctioned. I've used this mouse on different computers before, and that message seems to always pop up. The error message does not specify what USB device malfunctioned or is unrecognizable by my PC.

Any tips on fixing this?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Please download and install the following driver for your mouse under Windows 8. 

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp60501-61000/sp60674.exe

Once the driver is installed:

Plug in the wifi mouse dongle. Ensure that the dongle you have plugged into a USB port is the correct one for the wifi mouse.  Wait for the sound that indicates that the OS has recognized it and installed the driver.

Once you have done that, you can press the button to pair the mouse with its dongle.

Are you connecting the dongle to a USB 3.0 port?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.