Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi all,

i have a hp dv6000 laptop with a busted monitor.. so far, i had managed to get by using an external monitor. but the problem is, the external monitor only works when windows loads up..

how do i 'force' the laptop to detect the external monitor during boot sequence, especially now when im trying to reformat the laptop.

i know you have to press f11 during start up but if i cant see anything. the external monitor will only start detecting during windows login screen.

help..

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I have a HP Mini 1000 and I am having the exact same problem.  I think I need to change a BIOS setting, but I can't see anything since the LCD was broken, and I completely removed it.  I can see when Windows starts, but I need to see the boot so I can install a new operating system.  Does anybody know the BIOS sequence key by key so that I can do this blindly?  I can get in with F10 as Windows does not start when I am in the this mode, so I am definitely in the BIOS.

HP Recommended

hi I have the exact same issue with a hp dv3625ee no access to the bios because of the broken monitor. I am disgraced that no one from hp has advised. This is like selling cars with the boot welded closed. In reality you can describe this activity as misselling because  vga connectivity does not effectively exist if it does not support the bios.. All these laptops are one legged donkeys. They are described as supporting vga when in fact they dont...

Come on hp get your finger out before all the county court summonses arrive....

HP Recommended

Your issues should be posted on the laptop forum.  Laptop function keys can be different so look at the function keys for a monitor symbol. F4 on some laptops will switch the video to: (LCD, external, both)  Of course the video chip needs to be OK.  There have been a lot of NVIDIA chip failures in the HP DVxxx laptops.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

thanks very much for reading dave ...my fn/f4 combination works a treat but only after windows has started .. the issue here is that hp version of vga out is not complete.... as it does not support the bios ... vga only operational post windows boot...

i would love to know if the bios could be accessed by a hdmi perhaps... as it is....it means... dead screen .... dead laptop no bios no reinstalls etc ...thus the system is incomplete....

thanks again and how would i move to laptops forum many thanks

HP Recommended

Laptop forum.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

how to format the laptop having external monitor. becouse booting is not seeing.

HP Recommended
I found a solution. i use HP 655 and i was having the same problem. disconnect your Laptop screen completely so that your external monitor is read as the only available monitor. i did the same and it worked.
HP Recommended
follow the procedure on this video. it worked for me
HP Recommended
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.