Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hi i have a touchsmart desktop and when i start my computer green lines appear it works perfectely except for the green lines.im able to see and do everything  with out a problem but the green lines don;t seem to go away...what can it be can someone help me?
7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Typically, solid lines that run through LCD screens is not good. It usually indicates that the screen itself is bad or (hopefully) one end of the cable has lost connection with one of the leads on the cable.

For any of the TouchSmart computer, this involves a major service event - just to check the cable connection (to LVD1 or 2) on the motherboard.

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended
what if they disapear for a good while and come back...i really don't feel is a big issue people online tell me it might be but it doesn't seem to be it go back to normal then goes back to the lines...could it be something else cuz i also tried cleaning the back that worked for like 12 hrs  but then went back
HP Recommended

Yes... it could be the graphics hardware (probably getting too hot). Normally, lines throughout an LCD matrix indicate that electricity is not flowing though rows or columns of the pixel arrays - ground traces. However, it can also happen on the signal procesing and delivery end as well. Normally though, when adapter is overheating or failing it will cause multicolored lines ans artifacts.

My opinion is that you have a flaky connection point between the mobo and the display. When things get hot - contact might be better and the lines go away. Things cool down, trace opens and green lines appear.... or vice/versa. Hard to say without looking at it. If the lines go away after things heat up, and you can live with it, no harm is being done. I wouldn't worry about it.

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended

Have you tried getting the latest graphics driver installed from Windows Update?

windowsupdate.microsoft.com (Check for updates, install all recommended and optional available driver updates)

HP Recommended

The "experts" saying that the green lines are connection issues, bad, heat issues, etc is a bunch of baloney!! I work in IT, and have changed out all my connections, monitored the temp of the graphics hardware, etc, and the lines are still there. This is a Windows 10 issue. These lines just occurred all of a sudden as i was working.  I really like the concept and features of Windows 10--but i have had numerous issues with it on both my PC and my laptop (laptop issue was flashing startup screen). I wish i had waited until most of the bugs were worked out. I am going back to 8.1--as much as i disliked it, there were fewer problems overall.

HP Recommended

have this exact problem on my second hand hp monitor. My fix is smacking it on the back in certain places 'til the screen returns to normal. Wish I didn't have to do that, but still it works. I don't think that in my case it's a software problem (something that can be fixed with a program)... no, it's something worse: a problem that can only be fixed by buying a new monitor.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with green lines and one third of the screen, the lower portion, being green, too. I would reboot and when it booted up again, the screen was fine. I have  Windows 8.1 and the problem occurs on my lap top screen. I also have a larger HP monitor hooked up to the lap top because I do work in Photoshop and take courses on Lynda.com site. I remember this occurring once before but years ago and I don't remember what I did back then to make it go away or if it went away by itself. I hope you all can read the first sentence because the instructions did not go away when I began typing and I can't highlight it and delete it either. If it ends up being unreadable, I basically said I get horzontal green lines and also lower part of the screen is green when I boot up. But when I get the splash screen I reboot and then the problem goes away. It does not happen every day but it happens a lot. I don't know why rebooting it makes it disappear, either. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.