Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

HP Pavilion laptop w/fluid screen.

I keep having cursor issues that leave ghost images on the screen.

I have rebooted the computer--and the images keep returning with use.  

how do I determine the cause behind the cursor images.  when one appears--cursor moves lower right

thank you

Alan Darr

[edit]

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Chevimp58,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

The issue of ghost cursors or ghost images that you're experiencing on your HP Pavilion laptop with a fluid screen sounds quite frustrating. These ghost images are typically not due to problems with the cursor itself, but more likely due to issues related to the screen or the graphics hardware/software. Here are a few steps to help diagnose and potentially resolve the issue:

Update Graphics Drivers: One of the first steps you should take is to ensure that your graphics drivers are up-to-date. Outdated or corrupted drivers can cause display issues like the one you're experiencing.

• Go to the Device Manager (you can search for it in the Windows search box).
  • Expand the "Display adapters" section, right-click on your graphics card, and select "Update driver."
  • Choose "Search automatically for updated driver software" and follow the prompts.
  • Restart your laptop after updating the drivers to see if the issue persists.

Check Display Settings: Sometimes, certain display settings can cause issues. Adjust the refresh rate and resolution to see if it makes a difference:

• Right-click on the desktop and select "Display settings."
  • Scroll down and click on “Advanced display settings.”
  • Under “Refresh rate,” try setting it to a different rate. Generally, higher is better, but compatibility issues can arise at higher settings.
  • Also, experiment with different resolutions to see if the problem persists.

Monitor for Software Issues: Certain software, especially those that manipulate or enhance the cursor (like cursor customization software), could be causing the issue. Try disabling or uninstalling any such software.

Hardware Check: If the ghost cursor persists even after updating drivers and adjusting settings, there might be an underlying hardware issue with your screen:

• Connect your laptop to an external monitor. If the ghost cursor issue doesn’t appear on the external monitor, it's likely that your laptop’s screen is at fault.
  • Hardware problems could range from issues with the screen itself to more complex problems involving the motherboard or GPU.

Perform System Restore: If this issue started occurring recently, performing a system restore to a point before the issue started might resolve it:

• Type “Create a restore point” in the Windows search box and open it.
  • Go to the “System Protection” tab and click on “System Restore.”
  • Follow the prompts to choose a restore point before the issue began and complete the process.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.