Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

We'd like to install 2.5" SATA SSD into our T610 thin clients (NON-Plus version) in place of the 16GB MLC modules.

A 2.5" SSD will connect just fine to the extra SATA port that is incluced on the motherboard, but there's no obvious way to securely mount it.

I know there is a caddy/case/adapter for the PLUS version - For which no one @ HP can get me a part number - but wondering if anyone on the forums has found something for the NON-plus T610 that works...and isn't $$.

Thanks

TD

P.s. BTW, these things run GREAT w/even a 5400RPM 2.5" notebook HD w/Windows 7 PRO 64-bit. An SSD should be even better!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I am completely unfamiliar with the thin clients.  However, I have seen some strange things done inside of computer cases.  I wonder if you could simply use velcro to attach the SSD to the case.  The SSD's are so light that it shouldn't present a problem.  I installed a SSD in a desktop and didn't even attach it with screws.  If the SSD works and it doesn't block airflow I don't know why this wouldn't work.  Please let me know if this is a possibility.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Hi,

I appreciate the feedback....that is a novel idea.

My concern is that our Thin clients are used vertically and the SSD would be connected to the SATA @ a 90° angle inside the case. And the SSD would be approx. 1/8" to1/4" above the motherboard, so there would need to be a way to support/secure it.

Here's a link to what I want to do:
http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t610/mods.shtml

The bracket in the 1st pic is 'homemade', as I was told by the author....so that doesn't work well for the 100+ TCs we want to upgrade w/an SSD.

The tie/cable straps used in the 2nd pic are an option, but it's also not the best solution.

Thanks

Td

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information.

Those are great pictures of your situation.  There are 90 degree SATA connectors available.  Also,  there is velcro that I have seen that is almost impossible to pull apart.  It may work even though it is that close to the motherboard.  I like Samsung SSD's.  You may want to contact their Tech Support to see what they have to say.  I always contact the manufacturer's Tech Support for ideas.  They have never failed me to this point.

Please click the "Thumbs up + button" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

From looking in the Technical and Service manual for the T610 Thin client, thinnest version, there is a complex drive mount mechanism that seems to be in two parts, the lower (retention bracket) of which is attached to the motherboard, likely by standard threaded screws.  That all looks expensive and rare, but the motherboard threaded holes can be used.

The port that the SSD is being plugged into is elevated above the motherboard, as you indicate, to a greater degree than one would expect, which gives you some venting and working room beneath (all good).  You have a large number of thin clients to do, but I'd start with just one to see how much work it is, and I'd go to mcmaster.com and look up fiberglass, and look at the electrical grade section, and look at the different sheets they have available.  I have cut those easily on a chop saw.  You also will be able to find non-metal spacers that could elevate your cut sheet high enough so that the SSD (attached to the sheet) could be slipped into the SATA port and the sheet could then be screwed down to the motherboard's holes intended originally for the drive mount retention bracket noted above.

Velcro..... look in McMaster for hook and loop, and you'll find many options including high temp ones.  Or, you could drill holes in the fiberglass sheet to screw into the 4 bottom threaded holes every SSD has, in standard spacing.

This all will take someone who is handy, can cut fiberglass sheeting with a carbide or diamond blade using a chop saw, and have a jig and a drill press for the standardized holes.  Velcro sounds better and better.....

Finally, SSDs..... I really like the Intel Toolbox software over the Samsung Magician software, and it is kept up to date by Intel, and is a very easy way to do firmware updates for their SSDs.  I'd bet those thin clients are SATA type II rather than type III.  Thus, I'd personally get either the Intel 320 series 160GB or 300GB version and start with one of those, used, off eBay.  First low level format that with DBAN, then do a NTFS long type format, and then load W7Pro64 using the proper technique to get both the larger partition and the small "system reserved" partition.  

Sounds like a great project.....

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.