Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Trying to locate the driver for my Personal Media Drive hd0000.  Can anyone help.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

If you have a healthy Microsoft Windows (Vista, Windows 7) operating system you should not need any drivers. There are some specific software backup tools that are provided with the Personal Media drive but not drivers. The same could be said for most other operating systems. The personal media drive, like other consumer alternatives is designed to be recognized by the operating system when powered on and connected to a live USB 2.0 port of an operating PC or notebook.

If you connect the drive to a USB 2.0 port and in Windows open Administrative tools and then Computer Management, you should see the hard drive in either its raw, unformatted state or as a drive in the file system that it was formatted in. That file system could be FAT32, NTFS or a number of other file systems(EXT3 or others).

This document will perhaps clear up any misconceptions  you have about the product. If your PC is using Windows XP, then you will need the USB driver as this operating system is unlike Vista and Windows 7 in that it does not have native USB drivers. You will need to download the USB drivers that are suitable for the chipset in your PC or notebook for Windows XP.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for your timely response.

Followed your instructions but when the computer window is opened all drive appear except my Personal Media Drive.  The drive is plugged into the port on my desktop and the blue light is on and solid.  I took the drive out and connected it via USB port and same result.  This drive has been in the port and perfoming backups just fine until about a week ago.  Hope this better explains my problem.

HP Recommended

Tried what you suggested and the situation remains.  We have a blue light on the drive.  The media drive appears under USB ports in Device managers but has a small yellow symbol on the drive name.  When properties are checked it says the drivers are current however it shows a status of Not able to start (10).  What should my next steps be to get my drive working?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Did you read the document that I linked to?

I mean specifically the following section.

To install HP Personal Media Drive drivers and software:
1 Click Start on the taskbar, click My Computer, and then double-click the HP Personal Media Drive icon.
2 Open the PMD folder.
3 Double-click HPDI.exe.
4 Select the items you want to install by placing a check in the check box next to the software.
5 Click Install, and then follow the onscreen instructions to install the software program. The programs are installed automatically.
6 After installing the software, restart the PC.

Is your Personal media drive still in  warranty?

How long have you had the device?

How full was the drive when you began having problems with it?

What is the operating system f the PC it is connected to?

Had you done a Windows update just before the issue began?

Have you tried connecting the personal media drive to another PC to see if the issue is  with the operating system or BIOS of the current PC it is connected to?

Go to  Administrative tools and then click on Computer Management and then on Disk management. Wait for the disk manager to become active. You should then see the status of all drives (USB and hard disks) connected to your PC.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Yes the document was referenced but my device is not visible on the My Computer screen.  It is however visible on the device manager screen but double clicking there only gives driver options not access to program files.  My drive is approximately 4 years old and out of warranty.  It is connected to my desktop and that is running Vista home prmium 32 bit. 

The problem was noticed when my backups failed so not exactly sure when it started. Have not tried connecting to another machine but can give that a try.

Thanks for your patience.

HP Recommended

No worries.  🙂 I have lots of patience.

I was not referring to the My Computer screen in Windows Explorer. I was talking about the Disk management section in the Computer Management windows. That is different and is part of the Administrative tools. If you cannot see it in Windows Explorer you still might see it in disk management. The image is Windows 7 but Windows Vista has the same setup and Admin tools.

DM.png 

I will keep an eye out for your post on the results on trying the device on another PC.

There is a pretty good chance that either the hard disk is no longer functional or the interface board in the personal media drive is faulty.

You can further isolate the problem to a component after you test it on another PC.

To isolate the problem you wil have to remove the hard disk that is inside the personal media drive enclosure.  

Testing  the hard disk will involve either trying it in another PC (as a slave drive) or putting it in an external drive enclosure to connect  to a PC.

HP Recommended

Thanks so much.  I installed the media drive on my hp laptop which is also running vista (home version) and the driver software installed but no drive showed up in My Computer or in disk management.  Looks like it is something with the media drive itself.

Is the data lost on that drive or can it be salvaged.?

HP Recommended

I suggest that you try removing the hard disk and testing it as I suggested in the earlier post.

If the disk does not become visible in Windows Explorer during the test then it is probably beyond the point of being salvageable. I have frequently found that enclosures for external drives fail before the hard drives do.

HP Recommended

i have lots of valuable photos on a hp personal media drive and lost the power lead. i have recently purchased one off the net and i cant seem to get the drive to work.. the blue light on the front seems to be flashing on and off and the other light doesnt come on. when i connect it to my computer which i used to in the past it isnt responding and i cant find it on the computer screen. could anyone help me please coz these photos are of my son as a baby and there is no other copys, thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.