Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion p7-1227c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Trying to install a Radeon rx460 (GV-RX6460WF20C-4GD) (low-wattage PCV-16 video card, power goes through the PCI slot on the motherboard, not through an additional power input from the PSU) into a HP Pavilion p7-1227c (MSI MS-7778 Jasmine montherboard).  I switched out the stock 300W PSU for a 400W PSU on the Pavilion, which should provide enough power for such a low-end card.  

When I install the video card, the output to the monitor from the rx460 only shows a blank screen, both with DVI and HDMI inputs.  The integrated graphics output also shows a blank screen. When I remove the card, the integrated graphics works normally.

I am currently locked out of changing BIOS settings - is there some BIOS setting I need to change in order to enable graphics card output from the rx460?

Thanks

Greg

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

An update, I did manage to reset the BIOS (thanks Paul on this forum), buit there is nothing in the BIOS setup to disable the onboard video, or to have the computer boot into legacy rather than secure boot (I believe this PC was shipped with windows 7, upgraded to windows 10).

I did try the solution at

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1664109/black-screen-installing-graphics-card-bit-noob.html

which suggests booting into safe mode with minimal selected without the graphics card in, power off, install the graphics card then power on. Unfortunately, the output of both the onboard video and the graphics care are nil, the monitor does not recognize an output.

I am not getting a POST beep error, the PC does not do anything abnormal other than not display anything. Even the BIOS splash screen does not show up.

One suggestion I came across was to boot into safe more and disable (not uninstall) the onboard video via the device manager.  If it does not work, and I can't get a signal from the motherboard display output, would be to boot from a windows rescue disk to allow be to get back into device manager and turn the onboard video back on.

Does anyone out there have any other thoughts?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Yet another update - the fans on the video card are spinning, so it is receiving power. Turning off the onboard video through the device manager did not solve the problem.

HP Recommended

Solved! Thought I would save someone else the headache I went through trying to upgrade the HP Pavilion p7-1227c with a newer graphics card which uses PCI 3.0 through the PCI-16 slot.

Although the Radeon Rx460 pci 3.0m SHOULD be compatible with the BIOS that the p7-1227c shipped with (AMI 7.07 4/20/2012), as PCI 3.0 is backward compatible with PCI 2.0 which p7-1227c does support, the BIOS in fact does NOT support PCI 3.0.  It prevents the system from booting.

Thanks to this other post in support, which I eventually came across and which had the solution:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Unable-to-boot-with-new-graphics...

What to do:

Remove the graphics card you want to install if it is in the PC. Attach the monitor cable to the motherboard video output. Boot into windows.

You need to update the BIOS to the newest BIOS for the motherboard, which is 8.20 Rev. A (Nov 2014).  Curiously, if you search for BIOS updates by entering your computer model  into the HP support website it says that no updates are available.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-p7-1200-Desktop-PC-series/5187022/model/...

However, if you seach for the motherboard name (2AEO) and BIOS in google it will take you to the correct HP website which has the updated BIOS for this computer: AMI  8.20 Rev. A (Nov 2014).

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=vc-140765-1

Click the download button on the above link,  then execute the downloaded file to flash the BIOS. It will open in a window on your desktop, give it some time to get through all of the steps.  It will tell you when it is done flashing the BIOS.  It is probably a good idea to use an uninterruptable power supply during this install (i did not), as if power goes out while flashing the BIOS you are hosed. I backed up the BIOS using the bios universal backup tool (google for it if you want it), but did not need the backup as the flash of the BIOS worked.

The system will reboot into windows. Shut down. Install the graphics card, remove the monitor cable from the motherboard graphics output to the new card (I used a DVI cable), then restart your computer.

Your display should now work through the graphics card - go to control panel to set the screen resolution to the correct settings and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps someone! I can't mark this as solved, if it works for someone else please mark as solved!

Greg

HP Recommended

I bought a MSI Radeon RX 460 and a 500w PSU around the end of 2016, but I was experiencing the same problems, I'm going to try your solution and I'll reply back to see if it worked. (Running an HP-Pavilion P7-1235 with same BIOS version and motherboard.

EDIT: Did this solution, ended up working wonders. Now I'm running games on ultra. 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.