Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Z400
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good Morning

I replaced the previous W3520 with a W3680 CPU on My Z400 WS.

Is the factory heatsink correct for this cpu?

I ran a simulation with solidworks and the temp of the core #5 reached 65°C without the side cover panel.

If I had to buy another heatsink wich model I have to look at?

Thank you in advance 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yep......

You're set already.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended
Hi all

I ask to you the product code of the high performance heat sink and of the front fan holder for my Z400... Somebody can help me? Thank you!!
HP Recommended

Use Google to look up "Z400 spare parts", and the HP link to that will tell you:

"

Heat sink assembly - For high performance CPU
538042-00

That is the Spares P/N.... you also can dig around the internet and eBay and find the Assembly P/N..

Your new processor is 130W Max TDP, and HP generally wants the workstations to go to the "Performance" fan/heatsink at 120 and above.  Your original processor was a 130W max TDP so you'll already have a Performance heatsink/fan in your workstation.

*********************************************************************************************************

EDIT:  Dan, our favorite and very helpful HP engineer, has previously posted that for the Z400 HP has the regular heatsinks for all processors at and below 95W max TDP, and that the larger surface area more heat tubes "Performance" heatsinks/fans (with the special type of added fan jumper wire from ground to pin 5) should be used for all processors above 95W max TDP.

**********************************************************************************************************

Side off is not necessarily better.... HP designed the best airflow for cooling with the side case cover on.  You'll actually get worse cooling with it off than on.

Also, use the forum's search bar above to specifically look for Z400 heatsink, and do your homework from that.... the answers are all there, including the assembly part number which is easier to find for purchase on eBay.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer

regarding the 538042-001 heatsink, I'm looking for a technical data sheet including dimensions, etc... But the site said that the product is discontinued.

Can you help me again?

Thank you in advance

HP Recommended

These are the numbers you want to search for:    463981-001 and 538042-001

The Spares P/N will not get you as many hits on eBay as the Assembly P/N because the number on the side of the heatsink generally is the Assembly one.  Sometimes both will be there.  Same exact heatsink, but most don't know that.  So, search under both the AS P/N and the SP P/N to find potentially better prices for the same item.

Look at the lower capacity heatsinks for the Z400, specifically the number of heat tubes (2 versus 3) and the motherboard plug end wiring, and compare those two things for the mainstream versus the Performance heatsink.  There are several revisions for the Performance heatsink.... any of those will do fine.  Some sellers sell a Z600 heatsink as a Z400.... study eBay pics for the Z400 ones to really figure things out, and look at the part numbers.  It's not as if one can't fit on another workstation but I'd stick to the official numbers to make sure there are no unforeseen issues that physically might make things not fit perfectly.  For example, capacitors that are tall enough to get in the way.

You won't ever find those specs from HP...... waste of time.  Once you get one of these heatsinks you can unscrew the fan and look at the fan label to figure out what HP used.  Lots of the fans are identical across different heatsinks.  Many have a HP P/N on that label, and the OEM source name and even OEM part number which you can use to find the OEM specs.  Some have been modified to HP engineering needs, however, and so if I'm going to swap in another fan I look for the HP part number on the fan label.  

The plug-end wiring has to do with how the motherboard knows a "Performance" heatsink is attached.  You can still find these both new and used off eBay easily, and elsewhere.  The heatsink never wears out.  The fan hardly ever wears out.  Don't bother with trying to retrofit some other heatsink from another vendor into that, in my opinion...... you know the HP official one works properly, and you don't want to risk your workstation.  That little black ground jumper wire from pin 1 to pin 5 is key to the motherboard knowing the proper Performance heatsink is attached to cover the heat output from your new processor.  The pin order is otherwise conventional.... 1=ground, 2=12vDC, 3=motor rpm sense back to the motherboard, 4=PWM control from motherboard out to the motor.....  

Below is a Performance heatsink/fan..... 3 heat tubes instead of 2, the ground jumper from pin 1 to pin 5, and if you measure things you will see a higher surface area of the cooling fins, and likely also a larger fan dimension.

538042-001 463981-001.jpg

HP Recommended
Thank you for your answer, I just found the first code (463981-001) you mentioned on the finned body. I have actually three pipes. Much ado about nothing?
HP Recommended

Yep......

You're set already.

HP Recommended
Thank you for your support! All the best!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.