Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
pavilion s5000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The computer shuts itself off after a few seconds. I can turn it on and get a start to the windows log on screen, then the computer shuts off' I have tried to solve the issue by using the various pf keys, but the computer shuts off before I get a chance to read what is on the screen. I have tried a "hard boot" with no luck. I am unable to try any of the solutions because the unit will not stay on long enough.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Seafarer1, welcome to the forum.

The first thing that you should test is the power supply unit (PSU).  Here is a guide to help you troubleshoot it.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

I have tried all the suggestions but no luck. The computer will not stay on long enough to do anything. It was running yesterday morning and suddenly shut itself off. I have been unable to get it to power up . When I turn it on it shuts off almost immediately. If I leave it alone for a half hour or so , it will turn on and i get a sign on screen. However as soon as i touch it it shuts off again. I have tried all the steps available through the regular HP help without any luck. I have tried all of the options using the pf keys, but before I can even read the screen it shuts off. HELP!

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Seafarer1.

You can test the memory by removing all of the sticks and replacing them one at a time.  The single stick should be placed in the slot nearest to the processor.  It should be slot #1.  If this doesn't work, I would replace the PSU.  If you have a friend that has one you can use it would be good to try it before buying one.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

I have tried everything I can come up with to no avail. The problem seems to be unique inthat the computer starts to powerup but then shuts down almost immediately and will not stayed powered up long enough to do anything. I can find no other posts with the same problem. This leaves me with no way to save any data that is on the computer. If I buy a new computer, can I download data from a prior backup disk from this computer?

HP Recommended

You can remove the hard drive from the computer and use a USB enclosure to connect it to another computer to save your personal data.  However, I am still of the opinion that it is a failed PSU.  You should check all of the components to assure that they are seated fully and check the power cable, as well.

HP Recommended

Ok.I'll give a try today.I agree that it is probably a PSu problem. I tried surfing for a new unit yesterday but even HP parts finder could not come up with a part number or price. Apparently the unit is no longer supported.   I'll let you know what happens.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.