Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just purchased (new) HP P7 1207 desktop and for now I simply want to view the layout /diagram and functions of all keys on this  particular keyboard that  came with the computer.

I downloaded the manual and also went to help and support on this PC but for the life of me... I cannot get what I want.

(a diagram/layout and  key functions).  Probably the answer and search location is  obvious,, but not for me.

Can anybody help me?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Chief,

Well, Beats is an Audio chip upgrade that provides, with the use of external speakers or headphones, an enhanced listening experience - expanded deep bass and a fuller control of high and low audio ranges.  Whether it's worth the expense and bother is up for debate.  I have it on one of my notebooks, not on the others... I have various audio systems.  Beats is, well, great marketing IMO, with some extra audio controls thrown in for good measure.  Unless you ordered it, your particular system did not come with Beats.  Your model is capable of supporting it and could have been ordered with the chip, according to the specs, hence the "Beats" on the keyboard.  Order some nice powered speakers or headphones and you'll be fine.  Perhaps you can use the Keyboard shortcut controls to assign your Favorite Player or audio to the Beats key.

HP Pavilion p7-1207c Desktop PC Product Specifications

You may find, after a time, that the keyboard - whatever it is - fits your needs.  Most keys can be tried without damage or too much surprise.  For example, unless you assign such a thing, there is not a standard key that will just shut down the system suddenly - you can press keys on the keyboard to discover what they do without a great deal of damage.  Just don't have something important going on while you are exploring "just in case" you are surprised.

Do not like a key?  Reassign it.

If you decide you do not care for the keyboard, you can replace it easily.  Logitec makes some very nice keyboards for the Tech minded that come with various key types, layouts, and complexity levels.  Most come with software; some come with mice.   I bring up Logitec because I like their software / drivers and the MK700 keyboard reminds me just a bit of my very favorite old HP keyboard that I used for so long that many of the letters rubbed off it, the space bar was loose, and the return key finally well, didn't.  I loved that keyboard....it had the most lovely quiet little "click" and snappy clean key feel of any keyboard I've ever used.  (I have used a LOT of keyboards.)

There are some great "gaming" keyboards for the gaming enthusiasts - some of these light up, some are tactile delights that make hours of gaming easy on the hands and fingers.  Some of the gaming boards have sloping surfaces and curved keys to make it easy to find your way in a dim environment.

Click, no click, soft keys and snappy return - full featured, with, or without a companion mouse.. Bluetooth, wireless, optical, and laser (companion mice); you can pretty much get whatever you want for anywhere from $40 - $150 US.  (You can pay less - no software, lower quality, fewer features...)

Good Luck!

I hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<<   Click the White Kudos Star on the Left to give “Kudos / Thanks” for the help.

Please Click “Accept as Solution if I provided the fix for your problem.  Thanks!

Always Include:  (Computer) Product Number  ,  Printer – Model Number ,

Never give out your Serial Number

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi Chief,

It's a Desktop... The keyboard could be anything.  What is the keyboard model?

Does it have it's own drivers?  If yes, then it may have a website link...  Many Logitec keyboards have drivers and support for them.  Google can provide more help for your model...

Here's another idea, and one you can use right now:

A lot of what a standard keyboard does can be driven by it's software, if it has any.  Some fancy keyboards do come with drivers of their own. Barring that option, the keyboard is operated by standard drivers in the Operating System.

Start > type / search "help and support > Click to Open "Help and Support" Help_and_Support_Q_mark.PNG

When Help is Open, In the Search Bar, Enter "Keyboard"

Four Entries of Interest:

Keyboard shortcuts

Using your Keyboard

Change keyboard Settings

Change your keyboard layout

More fun stuff:

Make the keyboard easier to use

Type without using the keyboard (On-Screen Keyboard)

Good Luck!

I hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<<   Click the White Kudos Star on the Left to give “Kudos / Thanks” for the help.

Please Click “Accept as Solution if I provided the fix for your problem.  Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

+-thanks for replying to my question.

The model of keyboard is  HP- sx 2023.

In device manager it sayd it is a HID keyboard device.

Manufacturer =STANDARD KEYBOARDS /

USB INPUT...........system 32\drivers\kbdclass.sys

The keyboard incorporates  a "beats audio" key and has other   keys that are "foreign" to me.

I did try your second "option/idea...."HELP AND SUPPORT/KEYBOARDS" and found NOTHING like what I am looking for....a  keyboard layout / diagram and individual key functions.

CHIEF CARL

HP Recommended

Hi Chief,

Well, Beats is an Audio chip upgrade that provides, with the use of external speakers or headphones, an enhanced listening experience - expanded deep bass and a fuller control of high and low audio ranges.  Whether it's worth the expense and bother is up for debate.  I have it on one of my notebooks, not on the others... I have various audio systems.  Beats is, well, great marketing IMO, with some extra audio controls thrown in for good measure.  Unless you ordered it, your particular system did not come with Beats.  Your model is capable of supporting it and could have been ordered with the chip, according to the specs, hence the "Beats" on the keyboard.  Order some nice powered speakers or headphones and you'll be fine.  Perhaps you can use the Keyboard shortcut controls to assign your Favorite Player or audio to the Beats key.

HP Pavilion p7-1207c Desktop PC Product Specifications

You may find, after a time, that the keyboard - whatever it is - fits your needs.  Most keys can be tried without damage or too much surprise.  For example, unless you assign such a thing, there is not a standard key that will just shut down the system suddenly - you can press keys on the keyboard to discover what they do without a great deal of damage.  Just don't have something important going on while you are exploring "just in case" you are surprised.

Do not like a key?  Reassign it.

If you decide you do not care for the keyboard, you can replace it easily.  Logitec makes some very nice keyboards for the Tech minded that come with various key types, layouts, and complexity levels.  Most come with software; some come with mice.   I bring up Logitec because I like their software / drivers and the MK700 keyboard reminds me just a bit of my very favorite old HP keyboard that I used for so long that many of the letters rubbed off it, the space bar was loose, and the return key finally well, didn't.  I loved that keyboard....it had the most lovely quiet little "click" and snappy clean key feel of any keyboard I've ever used.  (I have used a LOT of keyboards.)

There are some great "gaming" keyboards for the gaming enthusiasts - some of these light up, some are tactile delights that make hours of gaming easy on the hands and fingers.  Some of the gaming boards have sloping surfaces and curved keys to make it easy to find your way in a dim environment.

Click, no click, soft keys and snappy return - full featured, with, or without a companion mouse.. Bluetooth, wireless, optical, and laser (companion mice); you can pretty much get whatever you want for anywhere from $40 - $150 US.  (You can pay less - no software, lower quality, fewer features...)

Good Luck!

I hope this helps.

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended
you explained AND ANSWERED my "keyboard" question nicely and in detail. Thanks again DRAGON FUR.
HP Recommended

You are welcome, Chief.  Glad to help!

Come back and check out "just about everything" - there is a lot to learn here!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I found this link in another Post here on the Forum, entirely courtesy of our own HP Expert HaggisCat

The keyboard definitions are not your specific keyboard, of course; the information is great to have and just the sort of thing for those of use who are detail minded.

ComputerHope – Keyboard Definitions

There is lots of other information on the site; take the time to look around...

Enjoy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<<   Click the White Kudos Star on the Left to grant Kudos for the Help

Click “Accept as Solution" on the Right to accept a fix or workaround   >>>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended
this link to keyboard info is very descriptive wow! thanks again Dragon-Fur
HP Recommended

You are welcome.

I thought you'd get a kick out of that. :Wink:

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Resurrecting this thread as a means to add some information that I find of interest... I was researching question for another post and ran across this website.  It is one of several good ones of this type.

A complete guide to Windows 7 keyboard shortcuts

Note:  I do not, have not, and will not recommend that anyone sign up for any kind of a subscription to receive information of any kind.  The information on this website is free for the reading - just scroll down.

The site is well laid out, informative, and easy to understand.

There is a link to a neat page in Firefox help that I find interesting...

==================================================================================

Here is another site that has a clear, concise list of Windows hotkeys for Windows 7:

30 Windows 7 Hotkeys: Ultimate Guide

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.