Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 8 (48,697 Views)
Accepted Solution

"No Audio Device Installed" in Windows Vista.

Back in september 2011 I mysteriously lost my audio. I have a red X over my speaker icon in my system tray. When I put the cursor over the speaker icon I get this message "No Audio Device Installed". I went to the HP Customer web page and found the audio driver: Realtek High Definition Audio Version 6.0.1.5548 (sp37324.exe). I downloaded the program and saved it to my download folder. I put a short cut to it on my desktop. The only way I can get sound is whenever I turn on my computer I right click the desktop short cut and run as Administrator and install the program. My sound comes on. It works as long as I keep the computer on. Whenever I restart the computer I'm back to the red X over the speaker icon.

Now, Windows Update has sent me (on 3 occassions the last couple of weeks) an "optional update"...the Realtek High Definition Audio. Each time I download it and install it and do a restart,but I get the same red X over the speaker icon. It's Ground Hog Day!

My question: Is it safe to uninstall the Realtek High Definition Audio driver and reinstall the sp37324.exe without totally sending my audio into a Black Hole? BTW,I don't have a recovery disk.

I hope someone on this forum can help me. I've exhausted all avenues.

Accepted Solution

Re: "No Audio Device Installed" in Windows Vista.

Viola! It worked. I uninstalled the Realtek Audio (in Device Manager), did a restart and the computer did the repair (reinstalled the audio) itself. I didn't have to manually reinstall it.

Thanks a million!

View solution in context
Provost
Message 2 of 8 (48,693 Views)

Hi,

My suggetion: Totally uninstall it, reboot the machine and install it again. You can uninstall it from

•    Control panel > Device Manager
  •    It should be under Sound ...
  •    Right click it & Uninstall

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Top Student
Message 3 of 8 (48,686 Views)

banhien  I've included a 'screen shot' of the resulting popup box when I right click on Sound in Device Manager. I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. The popup box has a place to check "Delete the driver software for this device" Do I check this box? It's unchecked.

Also, after I uninstall the driver and restart, what application should I use for the new installation? The audio driver I downloaded from HP, Recovery Manager or are there any other options? I can't go to Windows Update because I don't know when or IF they'll send me another Realtek High Definition Audio Update.

Thanks a million for your time & expertise.Uninstall Realtek.jpg 

Provost
Message 4 of 8 (48,680 Views)

Hi,

Yes - just delete it and re-install it again

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Top Student
Message 5 of 8 (48,676 Views)

Viola! It worked. I uninstalled the Realtek Audio (in Device Manager), did a restart and the computer did the repair (reinstalled the audio) itself. I didn't have to manually reinstall it.

Thanks a million!

Student
Message 6 of 8 (40,993 Views)

Hello I need your help

i had to reinstall my laptp, but the sound is not working

jigme

Student
Message 7 of 8 (23,001 Views)

Same problem; your suggestion solved the problem quickly & easily! Thanks!
Honor Student
Message 8 of 8 (20,419 Views)

I have no sound on my windows visa. There is an X through the sound. I went to device manager and nothing is listed there. Nothing at all. I tried to download a sound drive off ph online but it still didn't help. What can I do

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation