Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 25L Gaming Desktop PC GT15-0000a (4Q9S4AV)

So I recently had to do a clean install of windows 11 using a usb. For some reason it wouldnt allow me to install on the ssd as it would put me in an infinite boot loop. So I decided to just install to the hdd and clone windows over to ssd using a third party software. However i still cant boot from ssd and my pc runs way slower than before the clean install. Im sure its because windows is running on hdd. I go to BIOS to change the boot order and i cant see the ssd on the menu. Note: this is the stock ssd that came built into the pc, i can download games to it and play and download anything else to the ssd so it does work. No damage to it as i ran a check with the official software of the brand. Can anyone help with this?? I just want to boot from ssd so i can have my original pc speed. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @JayBandz103 

Welcome to the HP Forum.

The SSD would not be detected by Windows if the BIOS does not see the SSD.

I can't follow how you ran a check on this drive using the drive manufacturer's diagnostic software if it is not detected in the BIOS. That should be impossible to do.

Maybe you formatted the SSD using MBR instead of GPT. That would cause a Windows installation problem. But the SSD should still be detected in the BIOS if you can use the SSD in Windows as a data drive.

Check the storage menu in the BIOS. A MBR drive would not show up as a bootable device in the boot menu or in Windows boot manager.

Run HP Diagnostics to see if you get two drives to check (the problematic SSD and the functioning HDD).

Check your PC's hardware using HP Diagnostics as follows:

Start the PC. Repeatedly tap the "ESC" key.

Select "F2". Run system and component tests. Run extensive tests.

Regards

HP Recommended

Yes i know it doesn’t make any sense to me either.  However my ssd is indeed gpt and ive already ran the hp diagnostic exstensive test and everything was fine. And still not seeing the ssd in the boot menu. 

HP Recommended

Hi @JayBandz103 

That is really strange.

If HP Diagnostics see both drives; the HDD and the problem SSD, then the SSD should be detected in the BIOS Storage Menu.

But the SSD, which contains a cloned copy of Windows, is not detected in Boot Manager. This may be caused by a corrupted boot loader on the cloned SSD. I still am amazed you could not do a clean Windows install directly to the SSD.

What cloning software did you use? Did the software indicate the clone was successful?

Try Disk Genius, free edition, partitioning and cloning software.

Have you tried setting the BIOS to defaults? Or try removing the MB battery to reset CMOS. Install a new MB battery while you're doing this.

Then try the SSD again to see if it is detected in the BIOS.

Try a different SSD. Then try a new Windows install on a second SSD. Or try the HP provided SSD in a different PC, if possible.

That's all I have. Never had this problem with a PCIe NVME SSD.

Regards

HP Recommended

I took the HDD out and and reseated the SSD. Then proceeded to try to clean install from usb to SSD it just bever boots it gives me a infinite install loop of windows. I can see the ssd when it asks where windows should be installed but it never goes through with the complete installation for some reason. But if i put the hdd back in and clean install it works perfectly fine. I don’t understand what the problem is. I used EaseUS to clone and it said it was successful. I set the BIOS to default and still nothing. Im not super great with pc’s so im not familiar with the MB battery or CMOS

HP Recommended

Hi @JayBandz103 

You have a very strange problem.

Am I correct in thinking the same Windows installation media fails with the SSD but works okay with the HDD? This should eliminate the Windows installation media as the cause of the problem.

The only way to figure out if your MB has a problem or the SSD is failing is to try a different SSD in your PC.

Or try the problem SSD in a different PC.

Try to install windows on either SSD, depending on which way you proceed, to see what happens.

You have a component problem somewhere if the Windows installation media is good.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.