Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

So the PC worked fine but I found posts describing newer bios adding XMP function to the bios. As my ram wasn't running at it's potential, I decided to update the bios to the latest F25 version. I download the .exe, started, the computer rebooted to Windows. I started the bios update program again and this time the bios updated after reboot, rebooted and did another smaller firmware update. Then the PC rebooted and showed a screen as if my SSD was blank, bios pop up screen telling me to install OS on a drive or something to that effect. I decided to reboot and go to bios. After reboot, there was no display and no USB ports work. Computer turns on, adjusts fan speed after a few seconds and that's it. I tried to program the bios with CH241a programmer but despite seeing the IC, it just wouldn't do it as it cannot unprotect it. 

Anything else to try or am I SOL?

Thank you 

System has Ryzen 3700X, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX 1660 Ti, Windows 11. Worked perfect before 'successful: bios update 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @moochiek 

Welcome back to the HP Forum.

You are PC proficient if you are using a serial USB BIOS programmer.

I don't know what has happened because I am getting spurious information when checking your PC's specs.

This HP Site states you have the Moria3 MB. This Link shows the Moria3 MB SSID is 86D3. I can't find any MB SSID 86D3 BIOS updates for this product. 

I can find MB SSID 87C3 BIOS updates. I can find MB SSID 8876 BIOS updates.

You might be able to recover the BIOS using a current 86D3 BIOS update if 86D3 is the correct MB SSID. I can't find it.

I might be way off base but this is very confusing!

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi.

My machine is using 87C3 BIOS. I figured why the BIOS programmer didn't work properly, it seems I need 1.8V adapter added to the setup to program this IC. I will try it tomorrow once I get the adapter. I've updated countless bioses before and those that failed wouldn't work right away but this one worked at least for one boot, although with a message in the center of the screen (about the OS drive) with USB working at the time and after reset, all went dark. I confirmed the bios 87C3 with CPUZ as well prior to update. I hope it will work.

Thank you for all the information.

HP Recommended

Hi @moochiek 

Sounds good. Some BIOS Chips run at 1.8 v vs 2.7v to 3.6 v.

I guess HP has a typo error (MB SSID) at the MB spec site for your MB.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.