Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 880-108na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i recently upgraded cpu from a i5-8400 to a i7-8700k but since this my fans are a lot louder and temperature's are higher 

is there a cpu fan which i could buy what will fit the tampa 2 motherboard and keep cpu temp down 

also is there any fixes i could do to keep temp down  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @Tomkd19.,

All things equal I an guessing you installed the 8700K correctly (thermal paste - correct CPU heatsink installation procedure) and the PC internals have been cleaned to remove dust, etc.

Can only provide general CPU cooling upgrade options for you PC. I have never worked with this product. Maybe a different forum member has hands on experience. You can do this if you did the CPU upgrade. Otherwise I would have a local PC tech take a look.

The factory cooler is a 65 watt part. The 8700K is a 95 watt part.  The factory cooler cannot keep up with the 8700K. You have two options:

1. Look at a higher TDP air cooler

2. Install a AIO liquid cooler.

Since I don't have hands on with this PC and HP does not provide all component specs I don't know case dimensions or fan dimensions. You need to measure both to see what you have. You need compatible components that fit in the case and work with the HP MB.

Case dimensions are needed to shop for a compatible CPU air cooled system. Rear fan dimensions are needed to select a compatible AIO Liquid cooler.

This PC can only use a liquid cooled rear rad/fan mount of 92 mm or possibly 120 mm. Many AIO liquid cooling systems require a USB 2.0 header on the MB and a spare SATA power connection.

Installing a new air cooler or an AIO liquid cooling system may require removing the MB from the case to install the required backplate to secure the system to the CPU socket.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi @Grzwacz    I have ordered two cooling systems due to be delivered  today I believe they both fit my cpu mount already 

I have ordered a cooler master hyper H412R air cooler 

and also a cooler masterliquid lite 120 cpu liquid cooler dual dissipation pump 

I’m hoping one of these are going to do the trick with the cpu 

do you also know what the temp should be ideal for cpu and gpu idle and temps when they are playing games ? 

HP Recommended

Do you know of fan which would fit straight away without chagning bracket ? 

HP Recommended

Hi I have a omen 880-108na with a Tampa 2 motherboard 
i orderd 2 different cpu fans to try and see if one fits to cool my i7-8700k as running hot with stock fan

i removed the motherboard and fitted a bracket for cooler master masterliquid lite 120 but after fitting this I realised there is no holes for the cpu clamp to be bolted down does anyone know of a fan what will mount straight on stock bracket or a backplate which will allow the cpu bracket to be mounted but also allow me to fit a fan bracket over top ??? 
somethibg like in this picture what doesn’t obstruct the 4 holes for cpu fan and holds clamps in place 

please let me know if you know what there called or what one I would have to order 

5BA93BE0-EE13-48D1-A0D9-62B48DE12BE9.jpeg

HP Recommended

Hi @Tomkd19,

This post is a continuation of this thread

CoolerMaster should have provided an installation guide for Intel and AMD.

The CoolerMaster (CM) MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO supports your CPU socket (LGA 1151).

The installation kit should have an Intel MB backplate and Intel pump mounting brackets that work with the Tampa2 MB. Install the Intel MB backplate aligned with socket 1151. Attach the Intel pump brackets to the pump. Apply thermal paste to the CPU. Secure the pump to the backplate using provided screws or other parts prescribed by the manufacture.

I see your image. You have the required MB mounting points to install the Intel backplate.

Please provide more info if I am missing something. 

CM does not provide much info Here for this product. Can you mount a 120 mm Rad/fan at the rear of the chassis? Check dimensions. Some HP PCs are limited to rear 92 mm fans.

CM has a video. I took a look. Much much info there. I could not find on line installation instructions.

I am not familiar with CoolerMaster AIO CPU liquid cooling systems. I normally use Corsair or NZXT. Some of these systems require a USB 2.0 connection and SATA power. 

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.