Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-ec0013dx
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello, I have been having an issue with this for a while now, whenever i plug in my laptop (HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop, 15-ec0013dx), it slows down to an unusable frame rate even when i'm just on the desktop with no programs running but as soon as it's unplugged, it pops back up to around 90-120 frames a second, I've taken it to a shop, which fixed the charging port since it was loose, i bought a new charger (which I made sure is the correct voltage for the laptop itself), and continued to have the issue, I've tried messing around in the NVIDIA control panel, the laptops power settings, factory resetting the laptop, updating all my drivers, I've taken it to another shop, ran hardware diagnostics and scanned for viruses, and everything is saying that the laptop is perfectly fine, and sadly my warranty is up so, can't really fall back on that to help me 

any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

It's unfortunate to hear that you're experiencing performance issues with your HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop when it's plugged in. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

1. Power Settings:

• Open the Power Options in Windows and check the power plan settings. Make sure the power plan is set to "High Performance" both when plugged in and on battery.
    • Adjust the advanced power settings to ensure that the CPU and GPU performance are not limited when the laptop is plugged in.
  2. NVIDIA Control Panel:

• In the NVIDIA Control Panel, go to "Manage 3D settings."
    • Check the settings under "Power management mode" and set it to "Prefer maximum performance."
    • Ensure that the correct GPU is selected if your laptop has both integrated and dedicated graphics.
  3. BIOS/UEFI Settings:

• Check the BIOS/UEFI settings for any power-related options that might be affecting performance when plugged in.
    • Update the BIOS/UEFI to the latest version if available.
  4. Temperature Monitoring:

• Use tools like HWMonitor or MSI Afterburner to monitor the temperature of your CPU and GPU. Overheating could cause performance throttling.
    • Ensure that the laptop's cooling system is functioning properly.
  5. Background Processes:

• Check for background processes or applications that might be consuming resources when the laptop is plugged in. Use the Task Manager to identify resource-intensive applications.
  6. Graphics Driver Update:

• Ensure that your graphics drivers are up to date. Visit the official website of NVIDIA to download and install the latest drivers for your GPU.
  7. Windows Update:

• Make sure your Windows operating system is fully updated. Go to "Settings" > "Update & Security" > "Windows Update" and check for updates.
  8. Check for BIOS/UEFI and Driver Updates:

• Visit the official HP support website for your laptop model and check for any available BIOS/UEFI and driver updates specific to your hardware configuration.

If the issue persists after trying these steps, it may be worth reaching out to the HP support community or contacting HP customer support directly. They may be able to provide further assistance or insights into the issue.

I hope you find a solution to your laptop's performance problem!

HP Recommended

I'm sorry to hear about the persistent issue with your HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop. The symptoms you're describing—slowing down when plugged in and working fine on battery power—can be quite frustrating. From what you've described, it seems you've taken some comprehensive steps to troubleshoot this.

One possible culprit that comes to mind is the power settings. Even though you've adjusted these settings, sometimes certain configurations, especially within advanced power settings, might still be causing the issue. I'd recommend revisiting the power settings and ensuring that when the laptop is plugged in, it's not set to operate at a lower performance mode.

Additionally, it might be worth checking the BIOS settings for any power-related configurations that might differ when the laptop is plugged in versus running on battery.

Another avenue to explore could be related to the NVIDIA GPU drivers. Have you tried rolling back to an older version of the GPU driver to see if that resolves the issue? Sometimes, the latest updates might not be fully compatible, causing performance issues in certain scenarios.

Since hardware diagnostics and virus scans haven't revealed any problems, focusing on the software side—specifically power settings and GPU drivers—might yield a solution.

If these steps don't alleviate the issue, seeking advice from the support community or where other users might have encountered similar problems could provide additional insights or potential solutions.

I hope one of these suggestions helps resolve the issue with your laptop's performance discrepancy between plugged-in and battery modes!

If you need further assistance or have any other questions, feel free to ask.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.