Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15-CE019DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello All

Recently got this laptop, and while using battery i don't let it drop below 20 percent before recharing,  then it gets to 99 percent and just stops charging, any reason to that?    I use AC a bit, battery a bit, recharge, and maybe a little AC again if i have something else to do on the Gaming Laptop, or i shutdown and goto my Desktop, First laptop i had in years

Did remove Mcafee Livesafe

Did upgrade to Windows 10 Fall Creators 1709

Am Using Avast Antivirus Free, don't know if that causes issues or not

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@bikemano5

Happy New Year!

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, MKazi is at your service. 

I understand that you have an OMEN by HP - 15-ce019dx laptop and the battery charges till 99% and then stops charging. I'll be glad to assist you with this case.

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• When the battery stops charging at 99%, does it give an error saying "plugged in and not charging"?
  • If you disconnect the charger at 99% charge then does the battery charge countdown start from 99%?

While you reply to that, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Power off the laptop.
  • Remove the battery out. If the battery is integrated and does not have a latch to release it then leave the battery inside the laptop.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and plug the AC adapter.
  • Power ON the laptop.

Let us uninstall the battery drivers and then reinstall them. The following steps will help:

• Open the device manager.
  • Expand "Batteries".
    Right click on the ACPI battery drivers and select uninstall.
  • Close the device manager after you have uninstalled all the ACPI battery entries. 
  • Please restart the laptop. While restarting, the Windows operating system will reinstall the battery drivers automatically. 

If the battery continues to stop charging at 99% then let us calibrate the battery: Please follow the steps mentioned under "Manually Calibrating the battery" from this HP article

Finally, please update the BIOS if the above steps did not fix the issue. The BIOS can be downloaded and installed via this link. The Charger must be connected during the BIOS update.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Please feel free to keep me posted. All the best! 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@bikemano5

Happy New Year!

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, MKazi is at your service. 

I understand that you have an OMEN by HP - 15-ce019dx laptop and the battery charges till 99% and then stops charging. I'll be glad to assist you with this case.

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• When the battery stops charging at 99%, does it give an error saying "plugged in and not charging"?
  • If you disconnect the charger at 99% charge then does the battery charge countdown start from 99%?

While you reply to that, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Power off the laptop.
  • Remove the battery out. If the battery is integrated and does not have a latch to release it then leave the battery inside the laptop.
  • Power ON the laptop.

Let us uninstall the battery drivers and then reinstall them. The following steps will help:

• Open the device manager.
  • Expand "Batteries".
    Right click on the ACPI battery drivers and select uninstall.
  • Close the device manager after you have uninstalled all the ACPI battery entries. 
  • Please restart the laptop. While restarting, the Windows operating system will reinstall the battery drivers automatically. 

If the battery continues to stop charging at 99% then let us calibrate the battery: Please follow the steps mentioned under "Manually Calibrating the battery" from this HP article

Finally, please update the BIOS if the above steps did not fix the issue. The BIOS can be downloaded and installed via this link. The Charger must be connected during the BIOS update.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Please feel free to keep me posted. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Well The issue was fixed with the first trouble shooting steps,  shows now Fully charged, did use it a bit on AC power after fully charging today, hopefully thats ok, not sure why it got stuck the last time though

Did update the bios as well, not sure if really was needed, but decided to get that done

Did switch Antivirus programs this morning as well,  not sure if thats gonna make a difference or not, but Decided Defender is fine, and local PC tech recommened that anyways

Overall very happy with this gaming laptop,  performance wise equal currently to my gaming Desktop which isn't a bad thing, can stream steam games really well to it lol

IF anymore issues i'll be sure to post again, but don't think will have any i hope

HP Recommended

@bikemano5

Awesome!

Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that.

I'm glad that the battery now charges fully. 

Feel free to reach out to us. Take care and have a great year ahead! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks for the hold-power-for-15-seconds tip.   I just purchased HP Omen DC0051 and saw once again, a new laptop purchased from MicroCenter had the dreaded "plugged in but not charging" and lower than 100%.

Unlike the Samsung I purchased years ago -- your solution worked perfect.

"I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Power off the laptop.
  • Remove the battery out. If the battery is integrated and does not have a latch to release it then leave the battery inside the laptop.   [SKIPPED THIS STEP, NO LATCH]
  • Power ON the laptop."

After power on, I was "91% available (plugged in, charging)" (now "99%" as I typed this and still charging).

HP Recommended

To get best battery life, it is best to cycle the battery down to 20% then up to 68-70% during use. But these gaming laptops get such poor battery life, if you are using it for all your day-to-day tasks like e-mail, web browsing, streaming TV or movies, it's not feasible to constantly keep track of when to turn on and off the charger, so most people leave the charger running all the time. This will decrease battery life. If you are not using the laptop for portable purposes, this won't be an issue.

Right now, it is not possible for the laptop to do this automatically. You can set it to charge to a certain ceiling via the BIOS, but you still have to remember to unplug the charger to get it to discharge down to 20%. PITA on a gaming laptop which gets maybe 3 hrs max when not gaming.

In my case, I have a Dell XPS 13 which I use for airline flights, and the trick Lenovo Yoga 920 which is a super lightweight, thin laptop (14-15") screen. I ended up getting a third laptop for day-to-day use where the laptop is being used for 8-12 hrs (I'm retired), since using the Dell and Lenovo for this (charging all the time) would screw up battery life. While you can replace the batteries, it's not quite as easy as the old days when all of them came with batteries that could be changed externally.

When your laptop is new, you might be able to hit 100% charge in the beginning, but as the battery life degrades (being plugged in all the time), it will no longer be able to hit full charge - or it takes a long time to eke out that last 1% charge.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.