Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15-5000NA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

As the latest version of GeForce Experience arrived, the icon from the HP Omen app as removed. I dont understand why is that and how to get it back.

1234.png

Thanks,

Shoham.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The latest version of GeForce Experience has a slightly different path to its executable, so you'll need to edit the configuration file for this as follows.

Open file explorer, select This PC and then browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP OMEN Ops.

Right click the file named Category, copy this and then paste it to the desktop - at this point, I would recommend pasting an additional copy of the file in your Downloads folder so that you still have an unaltered version in case of mistakes.

Open the Category file you pasted on the Desktop in NotePad

Scroll down to the 6th block of entries and you'll see 2 instances of:

C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA GeForce Experience\GFExperience.exe

You need to change both these entries to the path below.

C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA GeForce Experience\NVIDIA GeForce Experience.exe

( The only change is in the last section ie GFExperience.exe to NVIDIA GeForce Experience.exe )

When done, select File and save.

Close NotePad, right click the Category file you've just edited and select Copy.

Browse back to C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP OMEN Ops - right click and select Paste.

You'll get a prompt that The destination already has a file named 'Category.ini' - select the option to Replace the file in the destination and then click Continue in the Admin prompt that follows.

When done, restart the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

The latest version of GeForce Experience has a slightly different path to its executable, so you'll need to edit the configuration file for this as follows.

Open file explorer, select This PC and then browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP OMEN Ops.

Right click the file named Category, copy this and then paste it to the desktop - at this point, I would recommend pasting an additional copy of the file in your Downloads folder so that you still have an unaltered version in case of mistakes.

Open the Category file you pasted on the Desktop in NotePad

Scroll down to the 6th block of entries and you'll see 2 instances of:

C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA GeForce Experience\GFExperience.exe

You need to change both these entries to the path below.

C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA GeForce Experience\NVIDIA GeForce Experience.exe

( The only change is in the last section ie GFExperience.exe to NVIDIA GeForce Experience.exe )

When done, select File and save.

Close NotePad, right click the Category file you've just edited and select Copy.

Browse back to C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP OMEN Ops - right click and select Paste.

You'll get a prompt that The destination already has a file named 'Category.ini' - select the option to Replace the file in the destination and then click Continue in the Admin prompt that follows.

When done, restart the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Great, awesome! It worked as magic 🙂

Can't belive I didn't look for the file myself and tried to mange it.. 

Also, I think HP should update their apps with the upcoming changes without me and other look for a solution 😉

HP Recommended

You're welcome :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.