Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 2016 17- w000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I've combed through the forums and several people seem to have this problem but it has yet to be resolved.

I have a brand new HP Omen 17', and I want to live boot a Linux operating system from a usb flash drive.
Ive gone into the BIOS and my settings are as follows:
Boot from USB: Enabled
Legacy Support: Enabled
Safe Mode: Disabled
USB hard disk drive is set to highest priority in both UEFI and Legacy mode boots

No matter what i try, the computer refuses to recognize my USB drive in the boot manager, but it has no trouble recognizing it once the system is booted up.

I've successfully booted the USB from two other computers, so the problem is not with the USB itself nor the Linux OS on it.

USB drive is Silicon Power 16GB USB 3.0
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I managed last evening. Took a bios upgrade and giving myself a couple of extra seconds before continuing with booting.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

@anti4r

Happy New Year to you! Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand from your post that you have an HP Omen 2016 17- w000 laptop and are trying to boot from a Linux bootable. USB flash drive and the laptop will not boot from it. I read that on other computers you were able to boot from the USB drive. Also, you have checked in BIOS and UEFI that the boot from USB is enabled. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to inform you that the HP Omen 2016 17- w000 laptop is a consumer laptop and we provide support only to Windows operating system that originally came preinstalled on it. I suggest you to check if the USB ports are detecting the USB flash drives detected in Windows environment. I can help you to test the USB ports on the laptop. 

Use the following steps to open the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) to the main menu.

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

Figure: HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• In the main menu, click to select an option. To find out about your computer, for example, click System Information, and then click System.
  • Select Component Tests.

Figure: Component Tests options

List of the Component tests

• USB Port - This test is interactive and requires you to connect an external USB device, like a mouse, keyboard, or USB flash drive when prompted. Before running the test, make sure there are no USB devices connected to the port you want to test. To start the test, click USB Port, click Run once, and then connect a USB device to the port you want to test. Repeat the steps if you need to test other USB ports on the computer.

I hope this helps. Feel free to let me know if you have any more questions. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Follow Up:

I did the component test for every USB port on my machine, and they all Passed. It still doesn't make sense why it the computer recognizes it in every situation except for the boot manager.

Also, when you said HP only supports the Windows OS that came with the computer, does this mean that live booting a Linux distritbution from a USB would'nt work? Or just that HP wouldn't give me support if I had Linux problems?

HP Recommended

@anti4r

Thanks for replying. 🙂

Glad to know the USB ports tested fine. I would like to inform you that HP technical support does not provide support for Linux operating system on HP computers. Thanks! 

HP Recommended

I don't want support for Linux, I want to know why I can't boot from a USB. If I payed this much money for a computer that can't perform a simple task such as booting from a USB, I will most likely be returning this and looking elsewhere for a computer. 

I only want to know if booting from a USB is even possible on this machine, and how I would do so. 

HP Recommended

@anti4r

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

HP Recommended

@anti4r @MKazi 

I am trying to do the exact same thing as @anti4r with a HP Omen 15' and going through the same issue.

Were you able to resolve the issue and can you tell how you proceeded ?

Thanks,

HP Recommended

Hello, @zikish

Thanks for reaching out!

Did you try the steps mentioned bey @MKazi? Try the first message posted by MKazi and perform the tests and let us know the results.

I will watch for your reply!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Same problem here. Need the usb boot for some working at home. Expect this laptop to do so. It is in bios, but does simply not work. Is a solution available or do I have to take the laptop back for another?

HP Recommended
Yes, i managed to get it working. Make sure secure boot is disabled, with all the proper UEFI options on, but ALSO disable 'fast boot' in Windows 10. It may take a couple restarts before it kicks in, but thats what did it for me.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.