Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 17.3 inch Gaming Laptop PC 17-ck0000 (3V6M2AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

I have been using this laptop for one year. I did dust cleaning and thermal gel replacement on Saturday. I just wonder why the fans still make loud noise when I play games. When I bought this laptop, during the first five months, the fans barely made any noise. Most of the time they were quiet even when I play games. Then, they started to make louder and louder noise when I play games, so I thought maybe it’s time to clean dust and replace thermal gel. My laptop does perform better after the cleaning since it won’t overclock easily and shut down my game in a sudden, but the fans still make same loud noise as before. So I just would like to know the reason.

Regarding cleaning, what I did is I removed all residue of thermal gel on the thermal module, but it’s sticky so there’s still a little bit left around and between the copper pipes. To avoid mess up system board, I didn’t clean up white thermal gel on system board, but I replaced the grey gel on CPU and GPU. For the fans, I opened the container for the fans so I can brush the fan blades. The brush is soft since it’s a cosmetic brush. And I sprayed some alcohol on the brush to clean the fans. Two alcohol drops might flow into the middle of the fan. I don’t know if it is making the fan perform worse (but I’m sure it’s not causing short circuit since I fully dried the fan before installing, maybe it can reduce oil on the fan bearing?).

What do you think is the most likely reason for fans still make loud noise after cleaning? Do I need to replace those white thermal gel on system board? Do I need to add oil to the bearing of fans or should I replace the fans?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Another question I have is I find the temperature of my CPU surface is 8 degrees higher than CPU core when I don't play games and 2 degrees higher than CPU core when I play games. This is very weird because the common situation is CPU core has higher temperature than CPU surface. Why my laptop is the other way around?

HP Recommended

As per other solutions, I have updated BIOS and installed latest graphic driver. It doesn't lower the temperature of CPU and GPU. When I don't play games, they are 38°C higher than ambient temperature. When I play games, they are 60°C higher than ambient temperature, reaching 71°C while the ambient temperature is 11°C. I hope an expert in this area can help me. Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi @PatrickLi,

Welcome to HP Support Community. 
Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I see that you worried about the rise in temperature while playing games.

71 degree Celsius temperature is normal while playing games. Hence, you need not worry.

You may also refer to this document.

I hope this helps.
Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi Rainbow23, thanks for your answer. 71degree Celsius is normal in summer, but not normal in winter when the ambient temperature is 11 degree Celsius. When playing games, the temperature of CPU and GPU should be around 30 degree above the ambient temperature. If it's 60 degree above the ambient temperature, it means it's overheating. Could you have a look of my original post and give me some suggestions on fans and thermal paste? Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi @PatrickLi,

This issue might require one on one interaction over the phone to fix it.

I've sent you a private message with the steps to talk to HP Support. In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Support Community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link

Take care and have a great day ahead! 

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.