Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion dv7-4142eo
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I have used http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/systemscanner and chose the SSD which should be useable in my laptop

Crucial MX100 SSD 512GB  2.5" 7mm.

I have used Acronis and backed up my old system to an 3.5 500 GB which I put in an Icybox with esata. 

(An alternative method could be to use usb2 and clone the old harddrive to SSD but with acronis and usb2 this would take 5-6 hours and therefore I haven't tried this.)

Starting up Acronis from cd I found both the SSD and the Esata and restored the backup from the old harddrive (from the esata) to the SSD.  It seemed to work well, but when I tried to start without the startup cd I got the message "insert a boot disk".

The I looked in the bios and could not find any harddrive (SSD).  Now I got out of ideas and hope for help here.

My bios heading is: InsydeH20 Setup Utility

Below (the details):

Bios version F.14

Bios vendor: Insyde

Must I have a newer bios version?

How can I upgrade the bios version?  As I already have only the SSD in the laptop, must I put in the old harddrive before I can upgrade bios or is  it possible to du this from a usb stick without harddrive and windows running?

I think I find a newer bios her http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-pavilion-notebooks/595505-current-hp-pavilion-bios-releases.html

This? ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp49501-50000/sp49569.exe

My prosessor is AMD prosessor IIP340 Dual Core 2,20 GHz.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have solved the case.

Method:

1. Bios from 2010 upgraded to the newest version

2. SSD connected to laptop with usb2.  The the drivers was installed.

3. Acronis used to make start cd

4. SSD put in thei laptop

5. Usb2 connection with the old HDD

6. Start with the acronis cd

7. Cloning in the acronis menu (from hdd to ssd)  shut down when finisched

8. Disable cd og start again

Now I have 7-8 sec before I see the password field and another 7-8 sec before the start has finished.  5 sec to close down.

Fantastic.

Thanks for all help.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

You are the second person in a couple of days with the same issue and same brand of SSD. I wrote a sticky about upgrading to an SSD that should help you.

Have you considered entering the BIOS and disabling secure boot or enabling  legacy support temporarily?

I have had positive success with using a SATA to usb cable to connect the SSD to a usb port on notebook to clone the installed OS to the SSD.  I have had success with Acorn cloning software, Samsung data migration software and Paragon software's Drive Copy 15

You can also prep the SSD disk with the diskpart utility run from the recovery media windows recovery console and then use the recovery manager to perform a factory image recovery.

Did you use the resources at Crucial for your new SSD?

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/The-Cru/Cloning-with-Acronis-TrueImage-HD/ba-p/143991

Disclaimer: Since I am a Microsoft MVP, there are a number of companies who provide me with NFR and reviewer copies of their software.  Paragon software provides me with reviewer copies of their software for my use. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi,

My problem seems to be that the SSD is not discovered by the bios.  I have tried cloning and restore with acronis 2014 with both seems to work and in acronis because I can see both the SSD and the original HDD (via esata) and that the SSD has got the complete data.

I can see that my original bios in F.14 from 10.09.2010 (although the laptop was bought a year later).  And now I have went into http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00042629

updateing bios procedure.  Before completing the update/flash I have one question.  It says in pkt.2.2. that I should write down the prosessor, but can't find any use of that information later.  I suggest it could be very bad to use a bios for intel on a amd prosessor.  I have an amd prosessor.  Please tell me that I'm not wrong.

I have followed every step in the mentioned dokument and it could of course be unessesary to get the prosessor tipe when product No is known???

You mention disable secure boot or enabling legacy support temporarily?   In System configuration (Bios) I have / had USB

Legacy Enabled. Is this the point?  I can't se where secure boot can be changed.

I also very rare that I now with my old HDD back in the laptop can't se the HDD in bios.  I enclose 2 pics of the bios.

P1010498.JPGP1010499b.jpg

HP Recommended

erico wrote

"You are the second person in a couple of days with the same issue and same brand of SSD. I wrote a sticky about upgrading to an SSD that should help you.

Have you considered entering the BIOS and disabling secure boot or enabling  legacy support temporarily?"

I have looked for your sticy, but can't find it. Where?

I haven't found anything about secure boot in win 7, only in win 8.

HP Recommended

I have now flashed to bios from F.14 to F29 and it seemed to be alright. I have looked into the bios but can't se any difference in the menues except the new bios version.

Further I have made a new acronis startup cd after launching the ssd via usb2 where drivers for the ssd was installed.  May be this can help.

HP Recommended

I struggled with the Acronis cloning software in the pastas well. I gave up on the Acronis software because I ran into the same problem you are having. I went to the Crucial website to get some info and was asked to complete a satisfaction survey. 

Did you see the link to the Acorn software that I put in my post? That may help as it is the simplest one to use.

The Paragon Drivecopy 15 is in my opinion, the best to use. It even shrinks partitions so they will fit on the target SSD.

Try disabling legacy support in the BIOS. 

Flashing the BIOS is not the answer. I have an older (maybe six years old) Toshiba notebook with and AMD chipset and CPU that my stepdaughter uses for school. I put an OCZTechnology SSD in it a few years back without issue. I used the method that I described in the sticky.

The sticky is located in the same forum section that I moved your thread to . That is the Hardware Upgrades & Replacements section. http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Hardware-Upgrades-Replacements/bd-p/Upgrades

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I have solved the case.

Method:

1. Bios from 2010 upgraded to the newest version

2. SSD connected to laptop with usb2.  The the drivers was installed.

3. Acronis used to make start cd

4. SSD put in thei laptop

5. Usb2 connection with the old HDD

6. Start with the acronis cd

7. Cloning in the acronis menu (from hdd to ssd)  shut down when finisched

8. Disable cd og start again

Now I have 7-8 sec before I see the password field and another 7-8 sec before the start has finished.  5 sec to close down.

Fantastic.

Thanks for all help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.