Question

Tutor
YogaFireTurbo
Message 1 of 11 (2,311 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can I replace the hard drive in my HP HDX16-1140US with this hybrid hard drive?

Hi. I ran the SMART test on my hard drive (500 GB) and it said that it was about to fail soon. I would like to replace my hard drive with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-Solid-Hybrid-ST95005620AS/dp/B003NSBF32

Is this possible? What are some other hard drives to consider? 

Master's Graduate
daniel71317
Message 2 of 11 (2,304 Views)

Re: Can I replace the hard drive in my HP HDX16-1140US with this hybrid hard drive?

www.crucial.com has a utility that will scan your system and give upgrade recommendations for your RAM and Hard Drive based on your specific system. You can check that for the Hard Drive they recommend then go back to Amazon and purchase it if you don't like their price.

Make sure you back everything up before you install the new hard drive. If your computer came with recovery disks or you have the option to make some, do so before your hard drive dies. You will need to use those to install the operating system on the new drive or you can purchase the retail version of whichever OS you need to reinstall.
Tutor
YogaFireTurbo
Message 3 of 11 (2,300 Views)

Re: Can I replace the hard drive in my HP HDX16-1140US with this hybrid hard drive?

Thanks for the link. Sadly it seems I can't use the Momentus XT so I'm thinking of going with the Western Digital Scorpio Black. If I clone my old hard drive (it was 500 GB), do I have to get a drive of the same size? I know that I can clone my drive back to a bigger drive, but I'm not sure if I can clone it back to a drive that was the same size as my old one. Also, the WD Scorpio Black doesn't have drive protection past 320 GB. Does the HP Protectsmart work with this drive? 

Master's Graduate
daniel71317
Message 4 of 11 (2,293 Views)

The HP Protectsmart is built into the laptop itself, not the hard drive. But Protectsmart is only designed to protect your hard drive in the event you drop it or otherwise move it abrublty while the computer is turned on. When the computer senses an abrupt movement, it "locks" the hard drive to protect the moving parts inside the hard drive. So in that sense, HP Protectsmart should work to protect any hard drive you put in (except solid state drives, which don't need the HP protectsmart because there are no moving parts in a SSD).

You should not have any difficulty in cloning your old 500GB hard drive to a new hard drive of the same size. You will want to check the specifications for your computer as there is usually a limit to how large a hard drive the motherboard can handle. I would check for a bios update for your laptop, maybe an update has come out that will allow it to handle a larger drive and the newer hybrid and ssd drives.
Tutor
YogaFireTurbo
Message 5 of 11 (2,282 Views)

Okay. I used a Live CD of Ubnutu (12.04) and ran lshw on my computer. The motherboard is a Quanta 361b. The problem is I can't find the exact specs for the board so I'm not sure if it can support a hard drive larger than 500 GB. I have the latest update of my bios (F.32) currently installed, but I'm sure I'll have to re-install it once I get the new hard drive unless if that's not the case...

Master's Graduate
daniel71317
Message 6 of 11 (2,275 Views)

Here is HP's service manual for your laptop:
http://tim.id.au/laptops/hp/hp%20hdx%2016.pdf

If you go down to the Product Description pages, you will see that your computer can support up to a 500GB hard drive, but that you can put a second 500GB hard drive in for 1TB of total hard drive space.

The bios is tied to the motherboard, not to the hard drive. You do have the most current bios listed on HP's support website, so you should not have to update it if you get a second drive.
Tutor
YogaFireTurbo
Message 7 of 11 (2,274 Views)

Alright, here's what I've decided to do. I'll buy the Western Digital Scorpio Black but get the 500 GB version. Then, I'll buy an external hard drive because I know that the HDX16 in general can support two drives but I don't think my particular model has the second drive bay. Also, I think it would be cheaper too and that way I don't have to buy another drive that is the same size as my primary drive. How does that sound?

Master's Graduate
daniel71317
Message 8 of 11 (2,272 Views)

Sounds like a plan!
Kudos for the effort in figuring it ou!
Tutor
YogaFireTurbo
Message 9 of 11 (2,265 Views)

Thanks for the help, but I have one last question. Would it be better to get a bare drive or a drive kit?

Master's Graduate
daniel71317
Message 10 of 11 (2,263 Views)

For replacing the internal drive, all you need is the bare drive. You can use the caddy and screws from the one you are replacing on the new 2.5" drive. For the external one, if you got another 2.5" drive with the enclosure and cable, you could eventually put it into a laptop (use it internally) if you wanted to. If that isn't a consideration, you can get a regular external drive that acts more like a huge USB flash drive. Either way should be fine.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation