Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 2540P
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I wanted to bump my 2540p up to 8gb total memory, so I purchased 2x 4gb GSkill DDR3L-1600 SoDimms and installed. However, the laptop will not boot OR pass a memory test in diagnostics. The part# is F3-1600C9D-8GRSL. Is it possible these are not compatible with my model? I checked online and most of the upgrades were 1.35v modules.

Thanks,

BT

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're right, it is not something that can be resolved with a BIOS update, there is no specified for this.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Should be a dual-voltage module (compatible with 1.35 and 1.5 volts) because EliteBook 2540p uses only 1.5V DDR3 SODIMM memory.

http://edge.crucial.com/store/ListParts.aspx?model=EliteBook%202540p%20%28Standard%20Voltage%20Proce...

1.35v - 1.5v Dual-Voltage DDR3 memory

HP Recommended

That would be the problem then. 

Thanks,

BT

HP Recommended

Yes, because the Intel Core i processors first generation support SODIMM DDR3 1.5 volts only.

Manual:

HP EliteBook 2540p Notebook PC - Hewlett-Packard

HP Recommended

I contacted G.Skill and their specs say that the F3-1600C9D-*GRSL 2 DIMM set is compatible with ALL laptops that use 1.5v memory. Is there anything I am missing here. 

HP Recommended

For some reason it is not compatible.

I saw what you mean, it's a dual chip voltage (1.35 - 1.5V) maybe the problem is that the BIOS can not detect the correct voltage to use.

1.35V Low Voltage

Required only 1.35V, the G.SKILL low voltage SO-DIMM memory kit consumes less power and generates less heat. It is the perfect memory solution to extend your laptop's battery life and enhance the stability due to lower temperature. 

DDR3 1.5V Support

Does your system only support DDR3 1.5V SO-DIMM? No problem! Ripjaws SO-DIMM is also compatible with systems that support DDR3 1.5V!

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-1600c9d-8grsl

HP Recommended

Do you know if there is an updated BIOS for this? I checked the most recent BIOS downloads and saw no indication that they help with RAM. May not be documented thoiugh.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

HP Recommended

You're right, it is not something that can be resolved with a BIOS update, there is no specified for this.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.