Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hello my uncle gave me his old elitebook 8530p laptop it currently has an HD 3650 radeon gpu that can be changed out from the research i have done. my question is what are my upgrade options in terms of other MXM video cards i was thinking maybe 6470 or 7570 so let me know what my upgrade options are also what would i have to replace or change if anything ie bigger psu new heatsink thanks also what dock would i look for as i need a dock aka port replicator

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Here are the Quick Specs:

Quickspecs

Docking options are on Page 12 ...  Here is probably the best laptop docking station ever made for sale pretty cheap on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Advanced-Docking-Station-Port-Replicator-KQ752AA-HSTNN-108X-/271637457239...

Here is a 9600GT MXM video card:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-579211-001-nVidia-684-625-A2-NB9P-512MB-MXM-II-Video-Card-8530W-/18123087...

Be real careful with MXM video card upgrades. They are not nearly as plug and play seamless as a desktop video card. This one should work on the 8530p because it is designed for the sister model 8530w. The issue is that there is only one PSU and one heatsink and the card you choose has to work with stock power and the stock cooler as there are no other options. Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

This is one of the questions asked by many people buying these off-lease notebooks. I just installed a Nivdia Quadro  fx 770m video card from my dead 8530w into a 8530p. No problems, installed card, downloaded drivers from HP and it worked. I haven't found any other cards that will work, was thinking of installing the Nvidia  quadro fx 880 ( 1gb ) from the 8540w but the mounting holes appear different.  Another thing which many people are trying to figure out is what type of MB/HDD interface do these machines have? SATA 2-SATA 3? 8530 p/w, 8540/8560/8570/2760p, for SSD installation. The quick specs are not clear on this. Thanks, gitano.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your prompt reply. Should I post the question about the MOB/HDD interface in another location? I have spent a lot of hours researching this and have not found a reliable anwser. Thanks, Robert

HP Recommended

will thi card work in my 8530p

nVIDIA Geforce VGA Card 9600M GT MXM II DDR2 1024MB G96-630-C1 VG.9PG06.0091 tb video card mxmII

Antoine S. Finch
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.