Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Folio 9470m
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

mSata as second hard drive for HP Folio 9470m:

I currently have HP Folio 9470m that has 180GB SSD, there is an empty slot for mSata drive. I am running out of disk space, can I simply purchase mSata drive, install, and perhaps configure the BIOS to enable the second mSata drive functioning as second drive (mentioned in this Anantech article below)?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6852/hp-elitebook-folio-9470m-ultrabook-review-ultrabooks-in-enterpris...

Which part to purchase?

If this is possible, does it have to be a specific mSata as indicated in the service manual? May I simply purchase mSata out in the Amazon that has more or less same spec such as:

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX200-250GB-mSATA-Internal/dp/B00RQA6LFA/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Thank you so much for HP Support,

Len

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm exactly in the same situation: my HP Folio 9470m has a 180 GB SSD and the mSATA slot is empty. I was wondering whether it was possible to add a mSATA SSD to this slot in order to add storage space. If yes, will it be seen in Windows as a normal drive or does it require a specific configuration?

If using mSATA to add storage is possible, is it possible to use a mSATA drive from another brand than the parts specified by HP in the Service and Maintenance manual? I was thinking, for instance, about purchasing the Kingston mS200 120 GB on JD.com.

An answer on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I ended up using an mSATA MX200 500GB by Crucial (Micron), it seems to have better spec and more efficient. 5 min to install. Most important, it work for my Folio 9470m. You can google it.

Cheers

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. You convinced me to buy a mSATA SSD to add storage to my laptop. After you installed your mSATA SSD, did Windows recognize the drive automatically or did you have to do something?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I just wanted to share my experience.

I purchased and successfully installed a Kingston SMS200S3-120G mSATA SSD in my laptop.  As all mSATA options were already enabled in the BIOS, I didn't have to change anything in it and Windows automatically recognized the drive in Computer Management. I just had to format it in NTFS (normal procedure for every new drive) and it was recognized as a storage drive. Please, see the associated snapshots.

msata01.JPG

msata02.JPG

msata03.JPG

msata04.JPG

Note that the SSD didn't come with any screw and you actually need 2 tiny one to screw it on the motherboard.

The conclusion is that you don't need any official HP part to add a mSATA SSD in your laptop contrary to what the laptop manual may say. I bet it works for any other brand.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.