hey ALL

recently i upgraded my laptop hp probook 4540s to 16 GB RAM

I am having two identical (Same part numbers) RAM sticks of following specs:

manufaturer:   TRANSCEND

Memory         :   8 GB (each)

Frequecy       :   1600 MHz

Type               :    DDR3

PC3                 :    12800

the issue is the lowness of processor. Processor utilization meter shows 70 to 80 % utilization with these two sticks running. 

If i install only single module of 8 GB then the System runs great. i have checked both modules individualy by installing each of them in single channel configuration. also i changed the slots in single channel configuration. in single channel configuration everything runs great.

the complete specs of my system are :- 

Specifications

do anyone have any idea of what is going on

i shall be very thankfull to everyone for helping me on this 

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 12 (1,437 Views)

Re: Processor hangs after adding more RAM to probook 4540s

Hi,

According to the Maintenence & Service guide for your notebook  a maximum of 8GB is supported in your notebook.

The modules supported are PC3-10600, 1333-MHz, DDR3. They are not PC3 12800 modules like the ones you have installed.

That would seem to explain the issue you are having.

Best regards,

erico. 

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
insider
Message 3 of 12 (1,430 Views)

Eric U r right but if u refer to page # 28 serial No 17 (...

Eric U r right but if u refer to page # 28 serial No 17 (Memory) of that document, there u will see the RAMs supported as PC3-12800 1600MHz.

further to referred document, 8 GB memory is only supported in dual Channel configuration of 2x4 GB RAMs.But i am running 8 GB in single channel configuration.....

further when i install 16 GB RAM (Dual Channel Configuration) My Windows 7 OS shows 16 GB RAM

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 12 (1,420 Views)

Re: Eric U r right but if u refer to page # 28 serial No 17 (...

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I see what you mean about the PC3-12800,1600 Mhz-DDR3 memory.  Good catch! That certainly is in conflict with what is stated on the specs page of the same manual.

But the manual  still does not state that greater than 8GB is supported nor modules with larger capacity than 4GB.

Since you have discovered that the system hangs with greater than 8 GB,  then that would seem to reinforce the validity of the information published by HP.

Best regards,

erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Top Student
insider
Message 5 of 12 (1,409 Views)

Processor hangs after adding more RAM to probook 4540s

hi erico

please refer to this document :

Datasheet of hp probook 4540s

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 12 (1,397 Views)

Re: Eric U r right but if u refer to page # 28 serial No 17 (...

[ Edited ]

Did you use guaranteed compatible memory from a well known manufacturer or no name memory (without a guarantee)?

Best regards,

erico

Top Student
insider
Message 7 of 12 (1,373 Views)

Guaranted RAM

yup i have used guaranted RAM as i already mentioned that i am using RAMs manufactured by TRANSCEND.

moreover Cruicial is offering the same capacity RAM of same specs for this model

Honor Student
Spinal33
Message 8 of 12 (1,353 Views)

Re: Guaranted RAM

[ Edited ]

I'm having the exact same issue- but using 16GB crucial memory ordered from Crucial directly using the HP memory finder.

The problem seems exacerbated by moving the screen (opening/closing) - so I think it may be down to the case being a bit too flexible and allowing the modules to touch each other. Going to call warranty if I can't find a fix by this weekend as it's driving me up the wall!

EDIT: Had a little play - I put 3 spacers (little plastic sheets, like the one surrounding the HDD) between the ram and mobo, between the two ram modules and between the top module and the cover. Tested, and moving the screen now doesn't cause issues. Previously, this would either cause a power cycle, a BSOD or a freeze.

My problem is, these spacers limit heat dissipation, so are not ideal... I reckon it'll be a call to warranty anyhow! Not sure they can do much - it appears to be a design flaw with the laptop... grumble...

Intern
Xqzit
Message 9 of 12 (1,330 Views)

Re: Processor hangs after adding more RAM to probook 4540s

Check your BIOS version (current version is F.32. Have you ever updated your BIOS? If you haven't done it so far, then i would strongly recommend you to do so. Click here! for latest BIOS. (If you have the original memory with you, install the same and update the BIOS, later you switch back to the 8GB modules) 

Best Regards,
John
insider
Message 10 of 12 (1,316 Views)

BIOS UpDATE

Thanks Bro for the reply

i had updated the bios and currently i am running F.31

Does this make any difference

But when i updated my bIOS i was running on 8 GB alone

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation