processor upgrade PPGA988 and FCPGA988 ? (21042 Views)
Honor Student
marceles
Message 1 of 6 (21,042 Views)
Accepted Solution

processor upgrade PPGA988 and FCPGA988 ?

[ Edited ]

I am trying to upgrade my laptop processor and would surely appreciate any info regarding this issue.

I have a Probook 4730s with an Intel-Core-i3-2330M 2.20 GHz which, as far as I can say and according to Intel, is on a PPGA988 socket.

I see that my laptop model (PN: A1D64EA) also supports i7-2630QM and i7-2670QM according to the spare parts catalog. My problem is Intel states that these processors have a FCPGA988 socket.

I found a cheap i7-2670QM but I'm not sure if I should buy it. I have no means to check if it works on my laptop until I actually spend the money on it.

Is this upgrade possible? Are the spare parts from HP adapted in some way to work around this apparent incompatibility?

Please share any experience or insights you might have on this matter.

Thank you.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 6 (21,020 Views)

Re: processor upgrade PPGA988 and FCPGA988 ?

[ Edited ]

Based on information from Intel, the i3-2330M works on the PPGA988 and FCPGA988 sockets. The i7-2630QM CPU only works with the FCPGA988 socket.

I just checked my loaner HP Envy17-3002ea. It has an Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU installed and curiously enough, when I run CPU-z it shows it as a socket 988B rPGA package processor. The  socket 988B rPGA package  is also called the socket G2.  Here is a interesting reference link. It lists the processors that are spcket compatible with socket G2. That does not necessarily mean that they will work, since they have to also be compatible with the chipset of the systemboard in the notebook. That is where the compatibility list in the HP Maintenence & service guide for your notebook  comes into play to help you decide.

Envy.PNG

I suggest you run CPU-z and see what it shows as the package type of the installed processor in the system board of your notebook.

HP has not modified the spare parts, they just use a socket that has greater compatibility for Intel Core second generation CPUs.

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
marceles
Message 3 of 6 (21,016 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply, erico

CPU-Z shows socket 988B rPGA. The 2670QM i wanted to buy is on both compatibility lists, so, I guess it should be alright.

I've ordered it and i'll get back with a reply in a day or two, once it arrives and I install it.

Cheers,

M

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 6 (21,008 Views)

Sounds like a winner. 

This was an interesting question.  :smileyhappy:

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Honor Student
marceles
Message 5 of 6 (20,977 Views)

[ Edited ]

As everybody expected, it works. :smileyhappy:

Thank you again for the quick and comprehensive answer.

cpuz2.png

Regards,

M

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 6 (20,868 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am always happy to hear the results of great upgrades!  :smileyhappy:  

The Intel Core i7 is a beast in comparison to the Core i3 processor.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation