Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am trying to upgrade my laptop processor and would surely appreciate any info regarding this issue.

I have a Probook 4730s with an Intel-Core-i3-2330M 2.20 GHz which, as far as I can say and according to Intel, is on a PPGA988 socket.

I see that my laptop model (PN: A1D64EA) also supports i7-2630QM and i7-2670QM according to the spare parts catalog. My problem is Intel states that these processors have a FCPGA988 socket.

I found a cheap i7-2670QM but I'm not sure if I should buy it. I have no means to check if it works on my laptop until I actually spend the money on it.

Is this upgrade possible? Are the spare parts from HP adapted in some way to work around this apparent incompatibility?

Please share any experience or insights you might have on this matter.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Based on information from Intel, the i3-2330M works on the PPGA988 and FCPGA988 sockets. The i7-2630QM CPU only works with the FCPGA988 socket.

I just checked my loaner HP Envy17-3002ea. It has an Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU installed and curiously enough, when I run CPU-z it shows it as a socket 988B rPGA package processor. The  socket 988B rPGA package  is also called the socket G2.  Here is a interesting reference link. It lists the processors that are spcket compatible with socket G2. That does not necessarily mean that they will work, since they have to also be compatible with the chipset of the systemboard in the notebook. That is where the compatibility list in the HP Maintenence & service guide for your notebook  comes into play to help you decide.

Envy.PNG

I suggest you run CPU-z and see what it shows as the package type of the installed processor in the system board of your notebook.

HP has not modified the spare parts, they just use a socket that has greater compatibility for Intel Core second generation CPUs.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Based on information from Intel, the i3-2330M works on the PPGA988 and FCPGA988 sockets. The i7-2630QM CPU only works with the FCPGA988 socket.

I just checked my loaner HP Envy17-3002ea. It has an Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU installed and curiously enough, when I run CPU-z it shows it as a socket 988B rPGA package processor. The  socket 988B rPGA package  is also called the socket G2.  Here is a interesting reference link. It lists the processors that are spcket compatible with socket G2. That does not necessarily mean that they will work, since they have to also be compatible with the chipset of the systemboard in the notebook. That is where the compatibility list in the HP Maintenence & service guide for your notebook  comes into play to help you decide.

Envy.PNG

I suggest you run CPU-z and see what it shows as the package type of the installed processor in the system board of your notebook.

HP has not modified the spare parts, they just use a socket that has greater compatibility for Intel Core second generation CPUs.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply, erico

CPU-Z shows socket 988B rPGA. The 2670QM i wanted to buy is on both compatibility lists, so, I guess it should be alright.

I've ordered it and i'll get back with a reply in a day or two, once it arrives and I install it.

Cheers,

M

HP Recommended

Sounds like a winner. 

This was an interesting question.  🙂

HP Recommended

As everybody expected, it works. :generic:

Thank you again for the quick and comprehensive answer.

cpuz2.png

Regards,

M

HP Recommended

I am always happy to hear the results of great upgrades!  🙂  

The Intel Core i7 is a beast in comparison to the Core i3 processor.

HP Recommended

Hi erico I have a pavilion DM4 2191us and I would like to upgrade try a dead laptop's i7 processor on my hp so i can diagnose if the problem is truely the processor or not. I do not know if the i7 is compatible with my laptop. The dell website says that these could be the possible i7 models 

• Intel® Core™ i7 (3940XM)
  • Intel® Core™ i7 (3840QM, 3740QM, 3540M)

I went on this website you linked and all these processors are compatible with my socket (988b rPGA)  http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket%20G2%20(rPGA988B).html

You told the other guy to see the compatibility list for the cpu's but i cannot find the compatibility list for my correct computer could you help me?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.