Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello everyone. I have 2 questions with regards to my HP laptop (model number: dv6000 on the rop right corner of the lid, dv6920ea on the back of the laptop and HP System Info displays it as dv6700 notebook PC):

1. Recently I have seen the battery life go down SIGNIFICANTLY and HP Battery check says its normal and I should replace.

• Will buying a laptop battery that supports HP Pavilion dv6700 Entertainment Notebook PC series suffice or should it be specifically for my laptop model #dv6920ea?
  • Whats the difference between a 12 cell and 6 cell battery? Does my laptop support both? Which one is better?
  • What is the difference between this battery sold by Amazon and this one sold by HP?

2. I want to upgrade the RAM of my laptop. Currently its 3 GB (2048+1024). I have searched Memory Up and they say only 1GB RAM's are available. Does HP sell RAM directly? Or is there anywhere else where I can buy genuine RAM from?

I know these are very novice questions, so please bear with me.

Thank you in advance for the help. I look forward to an answer.

Best regards

Ashraf

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

6 cell is a standard battery, 12 cell is an extended run battery, it has more run time when you are on battery power and is slightly larger in size and may protrude from the laptop.

The difference between HP branded batteries and others is, you can be sure HP batteries use the highest quality lithium cells, others you cannot be sure of the quality. That Amazon ad says it is a Genuine HP battery, so its just as good.

The battery will fit any HP DV6000 series of laptops.

Unless you are using a 64bit Operating System, it is a waste of money to go to 4gb.

http://www.asisupport.com/ts_4GB_memory_info.htm

Any brand of ram will work, just be sure the seller guarantees compatibility in your system model.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

6 cell is a standard battery, 12 cell is an extended run battery, it has more run time when you are on battery power and is slightly larger in size and may protrude from the laptop.

The difference between HP branded batteries and others is, you can be sure HP batteries use the highest quality lithium cells, others you cannot be sure of the quality. That Amazon ad says it is a Genuine HP battery, so its just as good.

The battery will fit any HP DV6000 series of laptops.

Unless you are using a 64bit Operating System, it is a waste of money to go to 4gb.

http://www.asisupport.com/ts_4GB_memory_info.htm

Any brand of ram will work, just be sure the seller guarantees compatibility in your system model.

HP Recommended

I can ony answer some of your questions, sorry.

• The difference between a 12 cell battery and a 6 cell battery is the size.  The 12 cell is larger and has a longer battery life than a 6 cell.  The 12 cell SHOULD be compatible with your laptop however, it will stick out.
  • As for the RAM upgrade, I highly recommend this site.  Check it out and let me know if it helps.

Sorry I can't answer more of your questions.  Wait for others to reply.

HP Recommended

Thank you Mumbodog and Comptronic  .Cleared up a lot of confusion. I have a few more questions:

1. I am opting for a 12 cell battery. Even though it might protrude, it will work with my dv6700, right?
  2. When my laptop is connected to the power socket, should I take the battery out (cause I read in some places there is a risk that the battery might over charge?) or leave the battery in place inside the laptop?

Thank you once again for the help.

Best regards

Ashraf

HP Recommended

I just leave the battery in, but there is agood reason to take it out. Over charging is not the issue. There is a smart chip inside the battery that prevents that. It has to do with the life of the battery. The smart chip that prevents overcharging also counts charge/discharge cycles and forces the battery to commit suicide after a certain number of cycles. Leaving the battery in will allow more cycles to accumulate on the battery leading to premature death. The rule of thumb is if you are going to leave the laptop in one place for about a week or more, you can remove the battery. Run it down to 50% and remove it then store it in a dark cool dry place but never the refrigerator or freezer.

HP Recommended

@AshrafulHasan wrote:

Thank you Mumbodog and Comptronic  .Cleared up a lot of confusion. I have a few more questions:

1. I am opting for a 12 cell battery. Even though it might protrude, it will work with my dv6700, right?
  2. When my laptop is connected to the power socket, should I take the battery out (cause I read in some places there is a risk that the battery might over charge?) or leave the battery in place inside the laptop?

Thank you once again for the help.

Best regards

Ashraf

1. Yes

2. If you use the laptop for a desktop, you can extend battery life by discharging it to 30~50% and removing it for storage. Leaving the battery at 100% charge all the time will shorten its maximum life.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00596784

HP Recommended

Hi,

I also want to upgrade the RAM of my DV6725, currently it has 2Gb (1024 + 1024).

Since I have windows 7 32 bits installed and it only works with 3Gb, could I buy a 2Gb module ram and replace one of the 1-gb I currently have? It seems if possible but I do not know if I need to replace them by pairs.

thanks

HP Recommended
Yes you could do that if your computer is compatible to hold 3Gb of RAM.
You should always buy Memory in pairs.
HP Recommended

Thanks, if you are right your reply is perfectly valid for me, kido +1 ! 😄

HP Recommended
Thank you. Let me know how it works out for you.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.