Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My wife was copying some historical black & white family photos.  Six or so printed fine, then one photo changed from black & white to a purpleish tone at the 90% complete phase, only the bottom edge had changed colors.  We loaded another black cartridge believing this was the cause, but to no avail.  Now all Black & White photos are printing in purple.

Standard printing is fine.

Copying is fine.

Scanning is fine.

But photo printing of black & white pictures results in the copies being 100% purple toned.

Why?

HP 6510 printer, only two onths old.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The printer uses color ink to print black when printing on photo paper because the pigmented black ink is not compatible with photo paper.  It appears you have run out of yellow ink.  I would suggest the troubleshooting steps in the document here to resolve the issue.  Be sure to check the vents on the yellow supply as shown in solution two.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The printer uses color ink to print black when printing on photo paper because the pigmented black ink is not compatible with photo paper.  It appears you have run out of yellow ink.  I would suggest the troubleshooting steps in the document here to resolve the issue.  Be sure to check the vents on the yellow supply as shown in solution two.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thank You!

The Yellow ink cartridge was nearly full.  From examination of all cartridges, and comparison to the photos in the trouble-shooting guide you published, it was obvious the vent on the Yellow cartridge was plugged.  After two attempts at unplugging the vent the Printer Test page proved I had finally succeeded.

We haven't tried photo printing again yet but all indications are you solved our problem.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Glad I could help. 

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.