Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I sent all the info via mail, but so far no answer at all.

It was a generic QA email adresse so ...

HP Recommended
I'm still following this thread. I bought an other HP (Office Pro 8600) and I'm satisfied with this new one. Still, I would be interested to see how HP provides support on this kind of issue. Even if it is planned obsolescence, I'm responsible too for having bougth the cheapest printer with the weakest warranty. This taugth me to be more careful.
HP Recommended

@boumbh wrote:
Even if it is planned obsolescence, I'm responsible too for having bougth the cheapest printer with the weakest warranty.

Sorry, but your thinking is wrong.

When you buy cheaper stuff you generally agree:

- that funcionality can be limited/simplified comparing to more expensive stuff (f.e. simplified interface, less options etc)

- that parts used are cheaper/less durable (f.e. cheap plastic insted of aluminium/steel)

- that you can get shorter service with that device (f.e. 12-24 months warranty/servicing instead of 36+)

- a little higher material usage (ink, energy, gas, whatever)

and generally stuff like that.

I agree with all of that and am aware what risks and flaws of the cheaper stuff might be.

It doesnt matter if I buy cheaper or more expensive stuff, I still expect it to work until something physically breaks, not just because some CEO decided that starting this or that moment my stuff have stop working cause their profit has to go up. If they want to force limited lifespan on their products then simply print it on the box "model 1001, 50$, 30 months lifespan", "product 1051, 100$, 48 monts lifespan". Or even better, start selling devices 10$ each and run monthly subscription fee like World of Warcraft. Simple case, everyone knows how much they are paying and how much funcionality they get out of that. 

Planned obsolescence is just exploiting the customers and treating them as dumb ... (place word you like).

This case seems to be strictly software/driver related. Physically nothing is broken and the fact that simple changing paper properities in options helps, says it all. 

To be fair, they seem trying to help and fix it, lets see if they will manage to or is it just some kind of smokescreen.

HP Recommended

I agree with you, planned obsolescence is a perversion of the consommation society, like smartphone production that is exploiting children, like food wastes from retail stores. like agribusiness that is spoiling our groundwater aquifers...

But who am I to blame big companies when I’m just selfishly playing the game with them by always looking for the cheapest ? When you see that the printer is cheaper than the ink, there is a problem...  I fell into the trap like a morron.  I am the one who signed the terms.

Now I’m not saying that there is anything to be proud for the company to scam the customer like that. Still it is legal... the opinion is more and more concerned about this problem, the companies are slowly improving on the subject (I hope).

Planned obsolescence is a taboo because it brings lots of money. Companies are in denial, and that’s understandable, they built their business strategy around it, it would be very risky to suddenly change their course. We need to be smart and make them understand that quality is a sustainable strategy.

We don't have the proof of the planned obsolescence *wink* ... Maybe there is something to do that could solve the problem...

I disapprove the people who are disrespectful  to HP support team. They are not paid to care about the ethics or the politics. They are here to help, and they may actually do 

HP Recommended

@Inshi wrote:
[snip] This case seems to be strictly software/driver related. Physically nothing is broken and the fact that simple changing paper properities in options helps, says it all.  

To be fair, they seem trying to help and fix it, lets see if they will manage to or is it just some kind of smokescreen.

The black ink is pigmented and not compatible with photo paper.  If you select photo paper color ink will be mixed to make the black areas.  In this case it may appear that black is working, but in fact it is not. 

Selecting photo paper when printing on plain paper may work in an emergency, but the results will not be as clear as printing with working black, it will take much longer to print and cost more per page.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

@boumbh wrote:

We need to be smart and make them understand that quality is a sustainable strategy.

For over 10 years I was very satisfied with HP quality and durability. 

Had 11 printers for home and small office use, countless refilling of inks. All from the almost lowest price range. Never came across faulty ink, all printers had lifespan over 6 year (actually the oldest printer is still working at my parents house) and none broke up without a reason (if they broke it was some physical accident or I just replaced oldest working model for some newer one). Thats the quality and durability for me and that was the quality of HP for me and I still expect that level of quality from no1 company on the market.

HP Recommended

Planned obsolescence may not apply to HP. Maybe I was unlucky that my printer only lasted for one year, just after the end of the warranty. How many 3070A were sold? How many people are complaining ?

I’m very satisfied with my new HP printer, two years and absolutely no problem.

Still, I think that the choices we make as a consumer have an impact on the way products are manufactured.

HP Recommended

@boumbh wrote:

How many 3070A were sold? How many people are complaining ?

Probably thousands. From my vast search on the internet when my printed gave up, I counted about dozen of topics about this specific model and problem through the internet (if I remember correctly 4 long topics were at this forum alone). If I had to estimate I would say that I saw about hundread different nicks/people looking for solution on different forums.

I can also safely estimate that those were <10% of the cases, cause 90% of people simple went and purchased new printer without bothering of looking into old one.

Yes, as customers we do have a minimal impact how the things are done and how they sell. Thats why cases like this are for me the dealbreaker, you try to exploit me = I wont come back to your company, clean and simple.

Im still following this case and awaiting for some solution from the HP side, but tbh I dont have much hope in it anymore. For all our sakes lets hope I will be mistaken 😉

HP Recommended

Well one more week went by and still no reply at that email you asked us to send our info ...

HP Recommended

Hi WilliamB

I wouldn't get too excited about any possible response unless your printer is still under guarantee. All i got as an eventual reply after 2 attempts was the following: I haven't bothered to ring them. I have already tried all the possible solutions offered on their website and i refuse to spend more money on any more ink.

I am very sorry to hear of the issues you have experienced with your HP unit. Your unit is showing as out of warranty on our system. Can you please call us on 0207 66 00 596, and we can discuss what options are available.

Alternatively you can find support on our website at http://support.hp.com/gb-en

Kind regards
HP Customer Relations Team

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.