09-11-2013 04:40 AM - edited 09-11-2013 04:42 AM
It looks washed out thanks to my camera, but pay attention to the shadow-like repition of the text, around the text? that's the problem. The coloured squares look fine, it's just the text that comes out like this, regardless of the quality settings.
-Using the Clean Cartridge tool
-Using the Align Cartridges tool
-Manually removed and cleaned the print cartridge heads
It looks like an alignment issue but the alignment tool is changing nothing. Black text comes with red and blue shadows, pretty far from the text, so it is not even a slight misalignment.
What else can I try? None of what I did seemed to affect the situation.
Any ideas? Thanks!
I'm using a HP PSC 1310 All-in-one with Windows 7. No error messages given anywhere. The HP Scan and Print Doctor program said everything was fine too.
09-11-2013 06:01 AM
Hi - It certainly looks like you've covered all the basics with your troubleshooting. It sounds like it may be an accumulation of ink residue on the encoder strip. the encoder strip is the transpartent plastic strip (with small vertical lines on it) that runs across the printer directly behind the carriage. It's very fragile, but outside of having the printer serviced, I'd try cleaning the encoder strip. Try following these steps.
- Disconnect the power from the back of the printer.
- Dampent a cotton swab (Q-tip) with water and gently wipe both the front and the back of the encoder strip a few times.
- Take a dry cotton swab and run it along the front and back of the encoder strip to remove any remaining water.
- Plug the printer back in and try running the self test again.
Keep in mind that the encoder strip can easily be pulled off of it's connectors at the sides of the printers, so be very gentle in cleaning it.
Hope that helps.
I am an HP employee.
09-11-2013 06:57 AM
Thanks for the info kkcb9395! But it didn't work Still the same, no change.
So I tried forcing the printer to print in black or grayscale, just to see what happens. The results were the same, the coloured shadows still appear! Found a 'black-only grayscale' option and a 'text in black' option (not word to word but something like that). Anyway, even with those options turned on, the colour cartridge was being used? (Since the alignment issue seems to be coming from the colour cartridge?) And I'm sure there's no formatting on the text, I'm using Notepad
How can I force it to use the black cartridge only? If I remember right, older models did this when asked to.
Any other ideas?
09-11-2013 07:52 AM
Sorry to hear that didn't take care of the problem. A couple of other things to try:
- You mentioned that you manually cleaned the ink cartridges. Did you do that using water and a cotton swab, cleaning the nozzle are? If not, I'd definitely recommend you do that (after disconnecting the power), as well as the area surrounding the nozzles.
- I'd also recommend checking the bottom of the carriage, as best you can, and cleaning it as well.
- Last, you might try replacing the color cartridge, though I hesitate to suggest having you spend the money on a cartridge when it may or may not resolve the issue.
In regards to the black cartridge only option, it sounds like you found the right selections in the driver. There aren't any other options to force it to use black, that I'm aware of.
If that doesn't take care of it, the only other option may be looking into the service options available for your printer. hopefully the steps above will resolve it though.
I am an HP employee.
09-11-2013 11:22 PM
Yup I did clean the cartridge and the craddle too. Maybe I'll try cleaning the craddle once more.
Else I guess I will find a service centre. Thanks for the help!
- Printer Prints a Blank Page or Does Not Print Black or Color Ink for the HP Officejet 6500 All-in-One Printer Series
- What Is HP Instant Ink?
- HP Printers - Which Cartridges Work with My HP Printer?
- Replacing the Printhead for HP Officejet 6500 and 6500A All-in-One Printer Series
- Limited Warranty for HP Ink Cartridges and Customer-Replaceable Printheads for HP Inkjet Supplies