Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My 6600 won't print in B&W when one of the color cartridges is empty (which happens quite often as the color cartridges don't last very long at all).  I have chosen the "Print in Grayscale", "Black Ink Only" options in the "Preferences, Advanced Options" but it still won't print.   Seems as though there should be a way to print a simple one page office document without having to spend a bundle on another package of color cartridges.  Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @rasnjls,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums! Smiley Wink I understand you would like to know why you are unable to print in black and white mode on your HP OfficeJet 6600 when one of the color cartridges are empty. I see you have the printing preferences set to black ink only, I would like to shed some light and also provide an answer to your question about the ink systems on your HP OfficeJet 6600.

1. Although you are selecting black ink only, it requires ink from all cartridges. You are unable to print without all cartridges installed because even though printing in black and white the printer will still use ink from the color cartridges for servicing tasks. Some ink from all the cartridges is required to service the printhead and prevent clogging. To get a better understanding take a look here: Ink Usage in Inkjet Printers

I found this helpful information here: An 'Ink Alert' or 'Low on Ink' Message Displays on the Computer or Printer Control Panel

I hope this helps!

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Nice cover for an obvious attempt to sell cartridges.  Ink is necessary to clean the print head?  Can the printhead really tell what color the ink is?  One forced print job to get the owner out of a jam without having to stop what he is doing and run to the printer ink store.  Would that be too much to ask?

HP Recommended

hp 6600 is a good printer# really like many of its features,however uses ink very quickly @ $60 bucks for refills wont let you print in black only.Why does the ink  have to be so costly? I will use ink other than hp so as not to in any way reward hp for their tactics.

HP Recommended

MARCH 2015

I also have this problem BUT MY PRINTER HAS ALWAYS GAVEN ME THE OPTION TO  PRINT IN BLACK ONLY WHEN OTHER COLOURS RUN OUT  But all of a sudden it nolonger does. The printer is fine it appears that HP have changed it so you have to buy more colours all the time - SEEM LIKE PURE MONEY MAKING AND NO CONSIDERATION FOR CUSTOMER OR THEIR POCKET 

I run a business and just as I had to print end of day important papers that had to go off in post the printer woud not work unless I changed a colour that I did not have in and did not require for this job!!! 

Unless Hp resolve this I will not be buying anymore of their goods!!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.