Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Using the print utilities under the printer icon on my computer worked for the black.  The color is sitll not printing.  Very frustrated.  Any solutions for the color cartridges.  Tried using the hot sponge and that die not work.  did the reset and that did not work.  Almost ready to buy a new non HP printer.

HP Recommended
I see black ink on the bottom right under were the black cartridge sets. My photosmart 6510 also is not printing
Change the black cartridge twice thinking maybe I got a bad cartridge . Unit about a year old with not that much
Usage.
HP Recommended

Your advice was of no help.  My HP Photosmart 6510 will not print in black.

HP Recommended

We have been through at least 4 HP printers in the last few years.  The first one we ordered had a faulty platen so would not scan, so we got a replacement under warranty. The next one wouldn't connect to Wifi so we got another replacement.  The next one seemed fine until it was just out of warranty and then stopped printing black.  We tried reinstalling the software, printhead cleaning etc to no avail, so scrapped it and got a new 6510 last year.  Now this one has also stopped printing black, just after the black cartridge was replaced.  It was still printing photos OK for a while, but now they come out with horrible yellow and orange lines all over them.  I got a different black cartridge and have also tried cleaning and aligning the printheads, both from the device and the computer, but neither works.  I can't see any messy ink under the printheads and the nozzle looks fine, so think we will end up scrapping this one as well, and probably buying a Canon or Epson.  We always used HP printers at work and they were really good so I can't understand why these home ones are so rubbish - extremely disappointed.  HP need to own up to this issue and provide some better help to users.

@PBode wrote:

@PBode wrote:

@PBode wrote:

HP Recommended

Hi Steenie,

I understand that you are having an issue with your 6510 not printing black just after the black cartridge has been replaced. I understand that this issue can be very frustrating. The best trouble shooting steps that I have found for the issue are include here Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages

Please let me know if this has resolved the issue. Thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I replaced my old HP original cartridges with new HP original since the old ones were empty on my HP Photosmart 6510. The new ones exept the black one worked perfectly. I am a light user that prints a page now and then.

I checked around and saw the comments on this forum. They fit well with what I experience. I have now tried all the advice provided and still no black print.

I am perhaps half a year out of warranty and the HP advice on this page are more or less basics without any real angle on how to solve what seems to be a general issue with the product (just a quick google on HP 6510 and I understand I am not alone in this).

So either there is no knowledge within HP regarding what seems to be a general issue that has raised a large number of complaints, or HP is very well aware of what the real problem is and how to solve it, but it would cost them so they ask us instead to restart and check if the cartridge is placed in position.....

I'm sorry but I am expecting some in-depth knowledge within HP about this matter, not just a reference to a sicilly procedure (yes I did try the sicilly procedures as well) that has no impact what so ever on this. 

If it is a general hardware problem that you will not take responsibility for, tell us and it will be better to know, my journey with HP will end with this if there is no substantial effort to resolve this the right way.

Thanks,

Kent

HP Recommended

I have tried it all, nothing is really helping.

The HP 6510 will end up at a recycling station after 1,5 years (half a year out of warranty).

I could get an "OOW" (out of warranty) service from HP which in practice means that I pay them more or less full retail price in order to get a refurbished printer - don't think so.

I will get a Brother printer instead. I will get it with a three year warranty. Sounds ok to me.

In the household we have three HP laptops. I have always liked them because of their reliability and sturdiness. Some years ago I had a laptop from HP that was as lousy as this printer, back then HP contacted me after the some repairs and  wanted to compensate me and shipped me a new one. That new one still after four years works flawlessly.

Now HP will not be on my short list for laptop upgrades.

Lost trust and confidence.

Kent W

HP Recommended

I tried all these suggestions and still no black print.  The printer still keeps saying that the cartridges need to be aligned but every time I try to do it, it stops and says 'alignment failed'.  So I think I will definitely be replacing it with a non-HP model as quite frankly, I've had enough of these problems.  Thanks for nothing HP.

HP Recommended

Just to rule out a software glicth, have you tried to print the test page from the printer itself? That bypasses the computer so if that prints ok you have a software issue, if it also does not print right you got a hardware or ink cartrdige issue.

Gerard van Schip
Helping people with technology since 1991

Did my answer resolve your issue? Please click on “ Accept as Solution ” so others will find this solution. This button only shows if you started the post! If you liked my answer please click on the Kudos! star to let me know, thank you!

HP Recommended

Oh yes, been running every form of test page, from printer, via pc, via Mac a mulitude of times. Done resets, soft, hard, partial. Ran service menus, updated firmware, tried letting it rest overnight without power, cleaned the printhead, checked for clogged nozzels (not able to detach printhead on 6510). Re-installed drivers on Mac and PC, checked cartridges, did page alignment (that fails), ran the clean procedure as well as the deep clean procedure. There is nothing I have not tried that is not listed somewhere on internet.

Since there are pages and pages of HP printer owners on internet with the same problem with the same printer. It is not just oh-by-the-way have you tested this. It a systematic fault pattern across the product line that does not effect the color cartridges, just the black one. 

All the people that got the problem got it after more or less the same number of cartridges used and always after exchanging cartridge. So whats the problem then.

Learned a rumor today from a computer engineer in the industry that there is apparently a firmware setting to kill the printhead that is supposed to kick in after a significant number of cartridges has been used (usually after a couple of years) so that the customer would have to buy a new printer not to early, but not so that it would go on forever. In this case the rumor is that there is a bug in the firmware for the black cartridge that kicks in after 5 or 6 black cartridges, when it should have read 50-60 something. That is according to what I learned the reason why the color cartridges keep on working, they will not expire just yet. The same engineer mentioned that most likely there is a hidden procedure to bypass the killswitch. He was not sure about the exact settings on this model, but that it was common procedure in the business to set it up like this.

If so could someone please provide information?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.