Photosmart Pro B9180: Ink depleted message with new cartridge (147 Views)
Top Student
ADT-1
Message 1 of 6 (147 Views)
Accepted Solution

Photosmart Pro B9180: Ink depleted message with new cartridge

I had 2 inks showing depleted, Light Cyan and Magenta, so I replaced both.  After a bit of inserting and re-inserting I eventually managed to get the LC to be accepted but the Magenta kept showing ink depleted replace the cartridge. Eventually I managed to get the printer to accept the cartridge by removing both the yellow and magenta and closing the ink cartridge door so that he printer advised the two cartridges where either missing or damaged. I then re-inserted the Magenta cartridge and closed the door and waited for the error message re the yellow cartridge to show and then re-inserted the yellow. The printer then went to the ready state. Hurrah! After printing a test sheet and a couple of head cleans and then a couple of pictures on plain paper I tried to print on photo paper. Half way through the print the machine stopped and threw up the message re the Magenta cartridge being depleted. I again fooled the printer twice by removing the yellow and magenta cartridge and replacing as before. This managed to get me to the end of the print which indicated the heads still needed a clean which I proceeded to do. Unfortunately the printer again failed to print throwing up the message that the Magenta cartridge was depleted and needed replacing.

Having done much investigation on-line it appears this is a common problem but what I have failed to find are any solutions even on the HP forum.

Is this a problem with the cartridge having dodgy chips? Is it a problem with the printer, either heads or general design?

I really need an answer that will prevent me keep buying inks only to find I'm wasting money. I've tried all the resets as described in other posts on here. Unfortunately once the ink depleted message arises nothing else can be done as the whole printer locks up.

Does anybody have a solution to this problem?

Professor
jabzi
Message 2 of 6 (133 Views)

Re: Photosmart Pro B9180: Ink depleted message with new cartridge

Hello ADT-1, 

Based on what you have described, i think its an issue with the printhead / printer and not the cartridge. If the cartridges that you have installed are New Genuine HP Cartridge, then the printer should be serviced.

Please call HP Tech Support for further assistance.

If you are in US , the toll free # is 1-800-474-6836 .

If you are not in US , then log on to www.hp.com , at bottom-left corner there is a world map icon, click on it and then select the region you belong to, which would then provide support options for you for that region.

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the white star under my name.

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Top Student
ADT-1
Message 3 of 6 (131 Views)

Hello Jabzi,

thanks for the reply, I think you may be right about the printheads. After posting this morning I went to the printer and decided to leave the cartridge door open for an hour or so while I was loading drivers onto a laptop to see if the printer reacted in any way. Lo and behold when I shut the door the printer went through a head maintenance cycle and then a head alignment cycle or two and went to the ready status and has remained there for the last few hours allowing me to print.

The only problem is there are lines on the print and missing colour. It would seem some of the heads are blocked. I tried cleaning manually as advised by HP documents yesterday and I will try again later today.

Before the printer decided to play ball today three of the printheads registered as good(green) with one fair(amber). Now all four are showing as fair. The machine has only had HP genuine inks installed throughout its life.

I acquired this printer recently from a print shop and although the printer has had little use throughout its life I think it has had a lot of time switched off and hadn't been used for several months as it was surplus to requirements. From what I see on the net inaction can be detrimental to this machine.

Professor
jabzi
Message 4 of 6 (127 Views)

Hello ADT-1, 

Click here to check if this resolves the print quality issue.

Regards,
Jabzi

Top Student
ADT-1
Message 5 of 6 (99 Views)

Hello Jabzi,

an update on the printer problems. Following your last post the printer again stopped working whilst I was following your advice and telling me the magenta was depleted which I knew it couldn't be. Anyway, I decided the cartridge must be faulty so I ordered a new one. The following day whilst waiting for that to arrive the printer, which I leave switched on, ran its daily maintenance routine and the problem cleared itself, great. I ran a couple of prints which still showed heavy banding/bad colours so I ran cleaning and alignment routines which made the problem worse. What I did notice was that the banding seemed to be related to the black inks and there was big gaps in text. I changed the photo black which was reading around 25% full as I had read a similar post where someone had had problems with a low black cartridge. I also took the printheads out and thouroghly cleaned them manually. Both black print heads showed signs of sludgy ink build up but the colour heads all looked very clean. After thorough cleaning and re-inserting the heads the printer ran its alingment routine and produced the best alignment prints I've had. The test page I subsequently printed was also excellent showing no missing text and the three print heads that had declined in status to fair were now showing as good. Since then I have been producing superb prints.

What I summise from all this is that the problems seem to have stemmed from the printheads being blocked preventing ink flow and giving erroneous messages re cartridges being depleted. All of which was probably due to the printer being unused and left switched off for a protracted period. Once the heads had been cleaned and enough ink had flowed to purge the heads of any ink that had been lying in there for a period the printer was able to function correctly.  At least I now have  a spare magenta cartridge on hand as well as a working printer.

I hope this is useful to anyone having similar problems.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Alan

Professor
jabzi
Message 6 of 6 (77 Views)

Hello ADT-1, 

I appreciate the findings. All i say about it is, you just "hit the bulls eye". :smileyhappy:

I wanted to know the following details...

1. Did you clean the Nozzle in Printhead ?
  2. Did you clean the surrounding areas of printhead ?
Regards,
Jabzi

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation